Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everybody, i came across a 1 ton chevy in a conversation with a fella. he told me he had a 1 ton 2wd 5 speed truck. i asked him what year. he thought it was a 1974 or 75 but wasn't sure, it had been sitting up for a long time. his wife thought it was a 80's model. never the less, if it was a 74 or 75, would this be a nv4500 or something equivalent? thanks in advance! ****

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks mark,
so what kind is it? i do remember him telling me that he put a 305 in it as a replacement engine, so i know it's not one of those big block trannies. thanks again

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
most of the manuals used in the late 70s early 80s were muncie 465. these are a 4spd compound low trans. good solid stuff but no OD.

dan
build 'em don't buy 'em
why is there no mazda thread?
I feel left out.:p

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it is a late 80's style it could be the NV3500. Ok in a light rig but failed under heavy use. There is even
a retrofit to convert to a 4500 in these trucks. Nickmil.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks nickmil, but still, the question still stands, what kind of 5 speed is it and would it be good for a jeep replacement, well anything is better than my puegsnot tranny!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There's really no way to tell from the info you have supplied. There were no five-speeds used in Chevy trucks in 74,75, or the eighties, so it must have been transplanted into the truck. Hard to tell what somebody put in there! Call Advance Adapters and get the specifics on the NV4500 and compare what they tell you to the truck by crawling under it and visually inspecting the trans. That's really the only way to tell.

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,706 Posts
Easiest spotting feature of the NV4500 is a six bolt PTO cover on each side If they ain't there, it ain't
an NV4500. If they are there, the covers should have 4500 stamped on them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts