Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of redoing my brakes, the rear to be specific. I've chosen to go with drums in the rear, despite the benifits of discs. My question is what can I use for bolts. Can I just goto Gomer Depot and get some stainless steel bolts? Or do I need special ones? The ones I'm referring to are the ones that hold the backing plate to the axles housing and a few others like the ones for the cylinder and other stuff. What are everyone's thoughts?

/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gifEat, Sleep, JEEP/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
"James and the Giant Jeep"
1993 Wrangler 4.0/5spd, Herculined Interior, D44s w/Detroits and 4.56s soon to go SOA

G

·
Grade 8 (5 marks)is just a few cents more than gd 5 (3 marks)...and you should never use less than gd 5 , for anything... well, maybe a CB radio mount or something like that...
I would not use stainless unless you buy them from a professional supplier, but It still won't be as tough as gd8.

G

·
I agree with dirtrod on this one. Under no circumstances should bolts be used in a major application unless they are from a reputable supplier. I previously was a manager at Menards (just like Home Depot or Lowes), and can personally attest that their stainless and non-stainless nuts & bolts are CRAP. Not trying to bad-mouth them or anything, but their hardware just doesn't hold up to much force at all. Also like dirtrod said, attaching a CB or something along those lines would probably be fine with this type of hardware, but anything important (brakes), I would go with some good quality hardware.

--Digger--

http://www.users.qwest.net/~ascanlon

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What about grade 8 bolts from Gomer Depot? Are they just as bad? Were can I get good quality bolts? I know Baxter's(local auto place) has bolts for sale.

/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gifEat, Sleep, JEEP/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
1993 Wrangler 4.0/5spd, Herculined Interior, D44s w/Detroits and 4.56s soon to go SOA

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
If you have a caterpillar dealer near you, that is one of the best places to get your Grade 8 bolts. They supposedly manufacture their own, or strictly oversee the production, and do not just take bids from the lowest hardware distributer. talking to the Parts Mngr at the Reno Cat store, they had a run of failures, on such items, as there bead lock bolts, on too many of their rigs in the past. Their investigations found that it was very often caused by inferior bolts and other fastening hardware. The result, was an ongoing attention to detail in regaurds to the bolts they use and supply for their equiptment.
Their grade 8 bolts were the only bolts I didnt have problems popping the heads off, on my old crappy beadlocks.
Their are usually at least a couple of competing, industrial fastner companies in any given big city. Look under Fasteners in the yellow pages.

Jeff
89 YJ
Wow, you can get a nice tan on your arms, from welding with no shirt on.

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We have a place around here called "Beaver Bolt". Unfortunely a few months ago they made a limit on orders. You have to order at least $50 of stuff. That's ALOT of bolts! So at the moment, I'm stuck with Gomer Depot. But I'll look under fasteners and also for a Cat dealer around here. Thanks a bunch Jeff!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.