Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm ready to ditch my T-150 and 20 T-case for the NP435 or T-18 and a Dana 300 in my 79 304 CJ7. Seem like I read somewhere that T-18 (Ford) might have some problems, shifting forks maybe? I'm running Detroits F&R in Dana 44s with 4.09 gears. Need that granny gear! What do you guys think?

·
Registered
189 Posts
I think wich ever one you find for a good price will be fine.I have an NP 435, and I really am happy with it.I used the A-A adapter to my d-300. I have not heard of problems with the t-18.Some say the 435 tends to pop out of first gear,I`m not buying that. My tranny originally came from a 75 Ford crew cab with a 390.I had it in a 1/2 ton pickup behind A really strong 351-c when I was in high school and I was not very nice to it. It has never tried to come out of any gear. I like the 6.69-1 first gear.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I went the T18 route and kept the 20 xfer case. I got the tranny out of an early 70s F250. It bolted up to the bellhousing of the T150, just needed a new bushing on the crank to match the nose of the input shaft. Even uses the same clutch disc as the splines are the same as the T150. First gear high range with the T18 is lower than 1/low with the T150. You'll be happy with whichever way you go. After shopping around for the adapter, I got it from Hicks 4x4. Cheaper than everyone else I found for the same Advance Adapter.

G

·
I also struggled with the same decision about a month ago. I talked to a lot of people, and the 435 "popping out of gear" came up a lot. However, that was from "transmission builders". All the Jeep guys I talked to with the 435 said it hadn't been a problem. Didn't talk to anybody that had a bad thing to say about the T-18. The 435 has an aluminum shift cover, while the T-18 case is all cast. That and the different first gear ratios seemed to be the only substantial differences between the two. I decided on the T-18 because it was a little cheaper. I used new pilot bushing, and the AA adapter to mate it to my Dana 300. It was a pretty easy swap (replaced T-4), especially when you consider my previous mechanical experience consisted of changing oil. I don't think you'll be disappointed whichever way you go; for me, nothing really jumped out and said get this one, or get that one; therefore I went the less expensive route.
Good luck,
Highlander
82 CJ-7, 258, T-18, Dana 300 & not much else (yet)

82 CJ-7, 258, T-18, Dana 300, the rest stock so far

G

·
I had and liked the NP435. I can speak from experience though: the popping out of first gear does happen. I found it only ever happened on long steep up hill grades where you worked the throttle a lot to keep wheel spin to a minimum.

I read a post some where that I meant to archive (and didn't) that mentioned that the detent inside the shift tower for the granny gear wasn't as deep as the rest of the gears...and that it could be easily modified to prevent the pop out of 1st gear issue.

It wasn't a major problem. I just learned to keep an eye on the shift lever and could easily tell if it was creeping...

Jim O'Brien
[email protected]
My jeep page

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
another thing to consider, is length, the rear adapters appear to be longer for the NP435, while the actual tranny itself is shorter than a T18..

probably not much of an issue in a 7

Ove got a T18 in my 1981 FORD work truck, man its a beast, grind it, slam it, granny it idle in traffic jams...never a problem, its sweet!!

Ive got one waiting to ship to install into my CJ5 when I get the body work completed, I cant wait, anytype of granny 1st tranny makes a CJ awsome!

OzarkJeep
NW Arkansas

G

·
Which one for a CJ-5? I too want rid of the t-150, and was thinking t-18, but its length is a concern, is the 435 measurably shorter, or is it going to be pointless to swap the t-150? Is there some exotic trans that would work in the space desired? I have a 4" superlift HD, with a 9" rear. driveline is going to be an issue soon... (so far so good, knock on wood)

Florida Mud CJ-5
'77 RB304, t-150 D20 4" 35" swampers

·
Registered
458 Posts
I have a NP-435 in my Scrambler. I also have the problem with it creeping out of first gear under a load. The folks at Advanced Adapters has admitted that they produced a number of these kits with out of tolerance shafts. They will replace the shaft if you send it to them. They are not advertising the problem.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I just swapped the t150 out of my Cj for a t18. It is the easiest to swap. The only parts you'll need is new driveshafts. I retained
the dana 20 to keep cost down, so I wouldn't have to buy a conversion kit. Then again, I got my t18 with the right input shaft for my
CJ. I put a CV rear drive shaft on but I still have some vibration with a 4 in lift.

Alec

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
For a CJ5 ( what I have) go with the T18 for sure, its a few inches shorter then the NP435, and as Alec said, a vritual bolt in other than the driveshafts..if you get the short shaft version...

OzarkJeep
NW Arkansas

G

·
I went the T-18 route when replacing my T-150. I was lucky enough to find a CJ version of the T-18 with the dana 20 already attached. The granny 1st gear was enough of a reduction, that I didn't feel I had to change from a 20 to a 300. If I ever wanted lower t-case range I would rather get the 3.15 gear kit and spend a few bucks more, then buy the adapter for the 300.

·
Registered
418 Posts
OK, all you guys who got junkyard (or whatever) T-18's, what should I expect to pay for a good used one?

-Dana

The first rule of intelligent tinkering is to save all the parts.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
depends on which one you get!!

a 2wheel drive FORD version, will require adapter to a JEEP tcase..
$50-$150

a 4wheel drive long shaft Jeep version with dana 20 adapter, will require new input shaft or input shaft form above to fit in a CJ
$50-$250

a Cj length input shaft ( about 6.5 inches) T18 with Dana 20 adapter.
$200-$1200 upper numbers from folks like Collins Bro..

get one from a Jeep truck ( cheap) then pick up a Ford version, the ford input is about he same length as athe short Jeep, use the AA pilot bearing, and your set...

OzarkJeep
NW Arkansas

G

·
I have a NP435 with a dana 300 in my CJ-7 and LOVE it. It is great !! Never had any problems with it and has not ever poped out of any gear. Put it through Hell with no problems. Get a 2 wheel drive out of an older Ford truck, Lot cheaper with no difference. Got mine for 150.00 I could not believe the difference off-road with the 6.68 first gear and the dana 300 2.7 .

Good luck

Richard

G

·
i like the np435, it has a deeper first gear, and adapts the same as the t18. the first gear problem is mostly due to a lot of people use the shifter as an armrest, this causes the sliding gear to round off a little and there you go, a tranny thatll pop out of gear. i have run one for 20 years and did no more than change the oil in it.

dan

/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.giflet it snow/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.