Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what is needed to mate that combo (np435/np205) to an 87YJ 258. I believe I need a bell housing off a J10 J20 with the T18. What do I do about the hydraulic throw out bearing? It looks like it should work with my clutch. I think I need a new pilot bearing. I need one for a T18 right? I don't need a new flywheel, right?
If anyone has done this set up and would like to shed some light, I would appreciate it.

Rob
yellow87yJ

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm trying to put a NP435 into my 82 CJ-7, the bell housing off of the 4.2 bolts up to the front of the ford tranny, I called advanced adapters and they said all you need it use to mate the tranny to the x fer is the ultra cheep plate for a meer 485 dollars, sorry i think its the only way to go. can i ask you why you want to use a 205 x fer instead of the 231 that came in your jeep? i plan on using the dana 300 in mine
Good luck Philip

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I know the 231 has the lowest gears ratio... but I was able to pick up the 435/205 combo for $150 and sell my transfer case for $350. I made out a little. Also the 205 is the strongest t-case they make (other than atlas) and third, I can't see spending the money to mate my 231 just for the sake of having a lower low range. I have 4:56 gear in the axles which may not help, but hurt on the street, it helps on the trail. I figured I would give up a little gear ratio for brut strength. And maybe in the future look to do a split dual t-case or some 4-1 set up. I also have installed 78 full size bronco axles front rev, Dana 44 and rear 9" 31 spline. I thought I would just make my drive train ford. I think would help line things up better.
I only lose about 20.1 on the crawl ratio. I'm going from a 40.1 now to a 62.1 and if I kept my 231 I would end up at 80.1
You know, I was able to pick the 435/205 and sell my 231 so fast that I wasn't really ready to think it all out. but in retrospect. I'm glad I went this root.
I hope this helps

Rob
yellowfordyJ
SOA/OME,FS 9"/rev.44,np435/np205,Detroits/4:56's,35's,OBA/York.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts