Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving down the road the other day and Bang a U-Joint broke. Resulting from this and the driveshaft slinging around at high speed the Rear case on my NP231 cracked. I replaced the rear case but I noticed that the output shaft is slightly bent. I can see it wobble slightly as I turn it. Its causing a little wear on the rear extension housing. I need to replace this and I thought I would get a slip yoke eleminator kit. Can anyone tell me how hard it is to do this? Can I remove the old output shaft and install the new one with the transfer case still under the vehicle? Also can anyone recommed a good kit. I drive my jeep daily and I put lots of miles on it. Should I get the $300 kit and get a driveshaft made or should I get the more expensive kit that comes with the CV drive shaft.

Thanks,
Jason

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: NP231 DIY SYE?

I've never tried that install, but I am interested to see an answer. I'm planning to add a SYE and CV 'shaft when I do the OME lift on my rig next spring. I know I can do the lift install myself, and the other parts that will go with it (extended brake lines, etc), but I've never cracked open a xfer case, so I'm a little leary of trying it myself. So, how hard is it, and can it be done with the 'case still in the vehicle? As far as which kit, I've heard good things about the MIT, Advanced Adapters, and Rubicon Express (only the 'Extreme Duty' version though NOT the standard one). I'll probably go with the MIT myself, and there's a pretty good driveshaft shop here in town, so I'll get my CV from them. I know it's not much help, but it's all I got so far....

-Spyder

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

What is the MIT kit? Where can I get it, what does it consist of and how much $$$?

Thanks,
Jason

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I copied this from a recent post, it should help.
"M.I.T. Mechcanically Inclined Technicians. 1112 Pioneer Way El Cajon, Ca. 92020 # 619-579-7727. The owners name is Jeff Sugg."

-Spyder

·
Registered
514 Posts
i just put in the JB Conversions kit about 3 months ago. I did it while under the Jeep without taking the transfer case out. Just remember to support the tranny or something will end up bent. The JB kit came with good instructions, and I was done in fairly quickly. /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

Good Luck

MNT

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. For those interested, I have removed the transfer case and disasembled it for the most part. It is accually pretty simple. Remove driveshafts, remove skid plate with a jack under the transmision for support. Remove 8 nuts and disconnect a couple wires & and a hose and the transfer case slides right off. However the top nuts might not be accessible if it wasn't for my 3" body lift (GROSS I know). Anyway tommorrow and next week I'll look for a kit and I'll let you know how putting it back together goes.

-Jason

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.