Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was moving the YJ around today...and noticed that my t-case squeeks. Heres the best info I can give: Chirps like a bird when barely moving gets faster with vehicle movement, turns into squeel, then goes away at ~5 mph. does not make noise in reverse, makes it in low and high range.

About the case: It's the original NP231 with a Tom Woods SYE and cv shaft. Is full of fluid. Front shaft is not in right now.

I can't pinpoint if it't in the tailshaft or in the case.

Any guesses as to what would be squeeking?

·
Registered
484 Posts
i suppose it could be a loose chain, but i just had a similar experience with my DD ('01 ranger)

thought i had a squeek in my left rear brake, turns out my driveshaft u joints were finally dry--120k miles--not loose yet, just dry and squeekin, changed em just this afternoon

hope it turns out to be an easy fix for ya

·
Registered
132 Posts
I doubt it's your t-case, more likely your front u-joints, or to be precise, the centering ball that goes between the double cardan joint. I had the same thing happen on my xj. this has been referred to as "angry sparrows". oops, sorry, didn't see that your front shaft isn't in.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Front isn't a CV (or Double cardigan) anyway...but thanks for thinking about it.

Any one have any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Have you had the rear d-shaft out? I agree it sounds like a joint. Otherwise, maybe speedo cable / gear?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts