Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
only with the tailshaft conversion kit.... and they are pricy
but the options are even more pricy, so it falls into the "adequate" category.. maybe i'm just biased twards the old dana 300, but the output is on the wrong side for you

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually jeeper131, the 87 Wranglers came with the NP207 case. The only year they did. Externally they are vary similar, but many
parts are not interchangable. If you really have the NP231, it's not stock.

Gary

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gray....wrong! I have an 87 wrangler that had a np231 in it. You need to do a little more research, If you are going to be so bold with your statements.
And Yes, it a great t/c. I used it for 3years of rock crawling with 4:56's and 35's never had a problem. Also the NP231 has the lowest gear ratio then all other stock t/c's
Yes you should get rid of your slip yoke, if you are going to lift it.

good luck

Rob
yellowfordyJ
SOA/OME,FS 9"/rev.44,np435/np205,Detroits/4:56's,35's,OBA/York.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Costarelli, I did do my research. Look on ORC tech section for the YJ, under transfercases. It states that 87 YJ's came with the NP207.
Starting in 88 the YJ's use the NP231. I also have a good friend with an 87 YJ and his had the NP207. Did you buy yours new? If not,
maybe the previous owner swapped it.

Gary

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you know i wondered about this myself! my 87 has an np231 clearly stamped on an attached tag on the trans case. i bought used so don't know if it is the orig. my chiltons does list an np207 for that year. couldn't the factory have started putting the 231 in some of the later in the year production? interesting!
steve

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I don't think you were bold Gary, I think "you're wrong!" is bold. There is no telling if jeep swapped in 231's towards the end of the year or not. Comments like "I think you need to do your research!" scares newer people from voicing their opinion when they are not 100% positive, the more opinions the better, whether they are 100% correct or not.

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif Big Ed
'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,33's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c

·
Registered
545 Posts
If I'm thinking correctly there might be a cutoff date for 87, so that some of the later ones came with the 231. I'll do more research when I get off work.

87 wrangler - 258

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm fairly positive mine has the NP231, and also that its all original (the guy I got it from wasn't all that into swapping parts) nothing would surprise me as to equipment on an 87...the 87 is such a funky year, and there is so much about it that just doesn't fit with any other year.

MudFlap 87 YJ POS!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, I may have been bold in my "bold" statement and AMC could have used 207 in the first have of the year and the went to 231I don't really now. I'm sorry for the wise a$$ remark Gray!
Seeing that 87 was the last year AMC made the Jeep they could have used anything. I mean, my Jeep had a Peuguot and not all 87 had that.
Chryslers did buy jeep in 87 but, didn't start making them until 88. so I could see AMC just grabbing what ever to finish the year.

Rob
yellowfordyJ
SOA/OME,FS 9"/rev.44,np435/np205,Detroits/4:56's,35's,OBA/York.

·
Registered
6,784 Posts
Here is one for you...

I went out and looked in my buddies 87.
NP 231.
I know he bought it new, and never changes anything...

After talking to him awhile, I found out he had problems with the T-Case shortly after he bought the Jeep.
Jeep replaced the T-Case under warranty in Mar. 88.

He still has the work order/ bill from the Jeep dealership in his paperwork folder.
(He's smart, he has ALL of his receipts. Wish I was that bright...)
It just says remove and replace Transfer case in the labor portion of the bill,
There is an order number for the NP-231, but it doesn't say what came out of the Jeep originally...

Wonder if they switched the NP-207 for the NP-231 then??

His orignal spec sheet says NP-207 for transfer case, but dealer propagainda and what the manufacturer actually installed are two entirely different things...

Unless he had bought it new, we would never have found out the T-Case had been changed...
--------------------------------

Just food for thought.
Aaron.

I haven't committed a crime. What I did was fail to comply with the law...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I also have an 87 with a np231 in it. 207 only came in some of the 87's.

Robert87yj/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif
engine rebuild w/4.0 head done, now for the MPI

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.