Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the 3" body lift and 4" susp isn't helping the linkage but it seems like sometimes it just doesn't want to go into 4L! And when it does, it is a PITA to get back out. I have to put it in drive and neutral a few times and then a simple tug on the shift does the trick. Worse case I get up under the jeep with a BF Bar and try to pry the lever on the 231 into the correct position! My shifters bracket is custom since my TH350 adapter sits where the stock stuff bolts up, I may try tightening up the linkage next time I have the skid plate off.

Does anyone else have this problem? Any tricks to getting into 4L. Can the nut holding the lever to the 231 get too tight causing it to bind up?

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif Big Ed
'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,35's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This shift fork thing, where is it? Inside the case? I guess I'd have to take the 231 off to look at 'em?

The shifter isn't hitting the body, between the B&M shifter and the 4wd shifter, there's a good size hole in the floor board! I may take the t-case out and give it a look over. Will give me a chance to improve my linkage points also.

Anyone know how those push-button t-cases work? There has got to be some type of solenoid that eventually does the shifting right? Wonder if I can find a 231 out of a newer vehicle that has it.
Thanks for the input,
big ed

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif Big Ed
'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,35's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.