Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I did it again!

I went out tonight to test my new motor mount that replaced the one that I busted - and I got some fairly decent "wheel in the air" shots /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif since I didn't do the disco's. But then something went wrong! On the way back I got STUCK /wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif on a LITTLE HILL /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif on the mildly rough DIRT ROAD /wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif that I came in on. I finally realized that in 4LO, the front axle was not turning at all! I slipped it in 4HI, burnt a nice layer off my clutch, and got back to the gravel road. The blasted front end engages in 4HI but not 4LO!!! I can't figure out WHAT the deal is! There is not obvious breakage, no missing parts, and it is sliding into and out of the ranges just fine. (I also RIPPED my driver side door handle clean off and destroyed half of my front fender flare in a nasty little slide, but that's not a REALLY big deal - these things happen.) But this 4LO thing has got me stumped! Who has had this happen before?
/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif NOW what did I BREAK! /wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif

/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif
Allright, confession time:

I started having these problems when I saw a HUGE 1 ton Ford duelly EXTENDED CREW Cab, and told my wife, /wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif "Wow! I'd even give up ol' bubba here (that's what all my Jeepin buddys have nicknamed my CJ) for a truck like that!" /wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif Ol' bubba, I kid you not, DIED right there at that very moment sitting at a red light! It has been getting even with me ever since! To make matters worse, my wife just keeps reminding me about it and is ROFLH*O!

/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif

I have went from Just Everyone Exit my Path to palezombie Steve's famed Just Empty Every Pocket in one fatal swoop!

G

·
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gifSorry that just made me laugh my arse off because I know EXACTLY what you're going through because I had the same problem. I could get my TJ into 4hi just fine, but not 4lo. I ended off-roading for about 6 hours in 4hi because of this(yeah I got stuck a bunch, but when it comes to off-roading, nothing's gonna stop me from having fun). Anyways...there was a guy on the trail I was on that knew more about Jeeps than I could grasp, crawled underneath, and found that one of my linkages was bent just enough that it wouldn't slip into 4lo. The shifter would appear to be in the right position, but it didn't engage in the tc. So I recommend checking your linkages, it's *hopefully* just something you can bend back in place. Hope this helps/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

Steve
/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gifJust Empty Every Pocket/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

G

·
Ok, you mention two things here - previous broken motor mount and gear change problems. Very well may be connected. With a broken motor mount you entire drive train from the engine though the transfer case can move in un-natural ways. Rotation of the engine can force transfer case lever or levers into the body and may bend, break or squush (how's that for a word? Pronounced like the squash plant except with a u instead of an a) - anyway look at your shift levers and also look at the rest of your engine and tranny mounts. You may have another broken one.

Doug '97 TJ
My Web Site

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif Doug's got it. The lever and the linkage is not in the right spot no mo'!/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif This is what happens when you try to make a Jeep that any concrete cowboy can drive./wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif As soon as they got away from the two-lever transfer case, it all went south./wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif But hey, what do I know, I'm just a grizzled old guy from the fifties, heh heh/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif. As soon as I'm declared Dictator-For-Life,/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gifI'll outlaw all single-lever transfer cases. My new rule will be if you can't make the decisions, you can't own a Jeep./wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif How about a nice twin-stick conversion? Hmmm....????/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I'm with PaleZombie on this. Make sure the shift rods are moving all the way. Lube them up really good. It may be your linkage has some wear and is a little loose and not moving like it should.

Loose nut behind the wheel
Another right-wing conservative.....
Born and raised in Jeep-Town

G

·
Jay:
Your jeep is a 78, right? Does it have the Dana20 t-case? If so, I know what might be your problem. I hate to even fess up to doing this myself, but I'm guilty of it. Seems with age the Dana20s get a little loose in the shift linkage
and you can slip, intentionally or as in my case UNintentionally, into 2lo instead of 4lo. If you don't jam that lever all the way down you may not have it fully engaged into 4lo. At the end of the summer, like a dumba**, I wheeled all day in this new 74 CJ5 in 2lo cussing the everlivin' sh*t out of the jeep. Even bought another D20 case for $50, THEN someone on this board told me to check to see I had it fully engaged. I didn't and with a good hard throw down on the lever, there was 4lo where it had been sitting there waiting on me - worked like a champ. So, you might just check...

Shain

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, you are all very helpful in putting me on the right track to figure out what this is. I forgot to add an update on that broke motor mount - I also snapped the transmission vibration dampening stud and had to replace that too! I am concerned though. I took everything off the front of the tcase. The linkage is not bent, but the rod on the front axle side will still not go in. I placed it on stands and **gently** tapped it in with a small hammer while rotating the shaft and it engaged. But, then it wouldn't come out - no surprise! I hooked everything back up, set it on the ground, and popped the clutch in reverse while I was trying to disengage it and it slid right out - but still won't engage on it's own.

So what is the deal? Did I mess something up inside? I have heard of T/C's jumping out of gear, but refusing to go in or out? Remember when I first took it out that day, it was going in and out of 4LO with no problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.