Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first start up my Jeep in the morning (usually cold and wet) It's starts up fine... Then as I go to pull away, the whole Jeep shakes pretty bad until I get it going, this happens for about 2-3 more stop signs and after that it better for the rest of the day.. Does this sound like some kind of clutch chatter?? The dealer just put in a new clutch for me (month ago), but I'm going to have the transmission out again *sigh*, so if the clutch they put in is junk I figure I should replace it now. I let my truck warm up for at least 30-45 secs before pulling away... I'm not sure what else what make the Jeep shake like that...Anyone got any ideas...

Steve

1994 YJ Sahara

· Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif It SEEMS like clutch chatter, and once the surfaces get a little warm, the friction surface is just different enough to smooth out. There is always the possibility that oil may be leaking on the clutch.....you might check that out as well./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless I've made 'em up myself.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Depending on how cold it is, it might not be the clutch at all. You just probably need to warm up the engine a little bit longer.

· Registered
2,062 Posts
Ya.....the recent clutch thing may be influencing you here (this is not to say that it isn't the clutch). Why not let your jeep warm up for the length of time it takes for this condition to disappear on its own? This should eliminate at least most of the ignition from the mix.

GeeAea

Figures don't lie ....... but liars sure do figure.

· Registered
7,901 Posts
I had this problem with an old Scout II I have. I had a new clutch put in by a garage, and it began chattering within a month or so. It continued and got a lot worse, but the garage assured me it would work itself out. I brought it back later and found out they used the old pressure plate (yikes!), so it may not have been seating well. They passed it off by saying occasionally a clutch will come from the factory "not quite balanced". After a new clutch and pressure plate, all was rosy, still works fine. I'm not entirely sure which was the problem, but have both looked into. BTW, the clutch was from NAPA, and I have never had any problems with any of their other clutches.

I hope this helps.

JEEPN
'97 TJ Sport
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
'71 Commando SC-1
'51 CJ-3A
'47 CJ-2A

· Registered
328 Posts
If this is an ignition (wet engine) problem, you should be able to tell by pushing in the clutch and reving the engine. I would think you would be able to tell if the engine is running OK. It would be smooth as oppposed to shaking. It could be your choke needs cleaning or adjusting and not an ignition problem.

Loose nut behind the wheel
Another right-wing conservative.....
Born and raised in Jeep-Town

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is usually prudent to look at the latest mod, particularly if it just hours old, when problems crop up. If no problems existed for a month after the new clutch install, it lessens the possibility that it is a clutch problem - Doesn't eleminate it, just makes it less likely. If it is an oil leak of some kind into the clutch area as one of the posts suggest, that would fit the symptoms, and the problem could have developed after a longer than just a few hours from repair work. If it is a clutch problem, including oil leak, the problem should get noticably worse under load. If the problem goes away after driving a while, that should pretty well eleminate the transmission. If the problem is only in a particular gear, look at the tranny. You might also check for u-joint wear or looseness. Probably not the problem, but it only takes a few seconds to check out. Be sure there is no pressure on the drive shaft when you check it.

Doug '97 TJ
My Web Site

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help... I just took my Jeep out for lunch and none of the symptoms were there.. The problem must have something to do with the Jeep sitting all night.... I'll check the clutch for oil when the tranny is out and maybe this weekend I'll do a little plugs,wires,cap, and rotor treatment just for the hell of it... can't hurt any..

Steve

1994 YJ Sahara

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also, like loosenut says, check the choke. When I bought my '80CJ7 the guy who had it said it had a clutch & tranny problem. He was right about the tranny, but the shuddering "clutch" problem turned out to be the choke. Like yours, it ran very bad on cold mornings, better as it warmed up. Wouldn't fast idle.
Make sure the engine is running correctly with the clutch disengaged.

Just a thought.

'80 CJ7
'84 CJ7
'76 Scout
NRA Life
Join the NRA!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.