Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Samurai has recently started making a noise at the top of the engine and it is behind the timing cover. I first thought it was because of the cold weather. When it first started making the noise it would usually stop after the engine warmed to operating temp but now it will start at anytime. It sounds like something is rubbing against the timing cover. I can push in the top of the timing cover and the noise will stop. Sometimes it will start back immediately after I stop pushing in on the cover. Has anyone experienced anything like this?

G

·
sounds like your timing belt is coming apart, and has a flap hanging off of it. has it ever been replaced? if not, it may be about to leave you stranded somewhere.

G

·
Mine did that. I had to tighten the bolts to that back cover. To do that you have to remove the cam sprocket. It still rubs once in awhile, but not like it use to.

G

·
Mine did that after I bent the rear sheat metal on the timeing belt cover. I tried holding the timing belt sprocket with a screw driver just like the cheap manual said. Didn't work. Some hammer work and new rubber groments from hardware store fixed problem. Make shure belt is ok and if you want to hold top timeing belt sprocket there is a hole in the cam shaft which a philips screw driver will fit into when holding cam.

· Registered
1,293 Posts
Cam sprocket removal

and if you want to hold top timeing belt sprocket there is a hole in the cam shaft which a philips screw driver will fit into when holding cam.
As posted back in January 2000, the Factory Service Manual shows where to insert the general rod (i.e. Phillips screwdriver) into the cam to hold the sprocket while removing the center bolt. See below.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.