Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if there is a way to convert the original jeep A/C to become a compressor (like the york).
Why?...Cant find a York and already have the A/C unit.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
the jeep ac compressor shouuld be a york. Depending on what it's on i guess. If it is a square bodied compressor then it is a york. A round bodied compressor can be made to pump air but you need to rig up some sort of an oiler in the intake side and then an oil trap on the output side. Or you could run a line off the oil catch on the output and run it to the intake. Most oil traps have a drain on the bottom so you coould just attach a hose and open the valve. I have a york compressor but the head on it is for a press fitting of some kind not the threaded ones the jeeps used. You could find a head in a junk yard. Also it's been my findings that all yorks will pump some oil into the air. I tried three of them and the final one I bought new from a parts store, then again I am running it mounted horizontilly on the stock brackets.

Al
My web page

·
Registered
458 Posts
I have been using the factory installed a/c pump as an air compressor pump for about 3 years. No problem. It is a Sankyo. I checked with my local A/C man and he said that the pump has its own oil system. The vanes do not get lube though. I put a squirt of air tool oil in it every so often.

At idle it fills a 2-1/2 gal tank to 130 psi in 60 seconds. It works very well.

The only problem I have had is the heat that is generated by the pump will blow out the hose coming from it. I will have to hard plumb it.

I also put an air filter on the intake. Just common sense on that.

I am thinking of carrying a spare just in case of failure. They are cheap.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Hey Ramy,
I used to live in Waco. There are a couple of Junk Yards on North I35 near Elm Mott I think. You should be able to find a York there for around $40. All you need to do is call around to the local salvage yards and ask for an AC compressor for an '80 AMC Concord w/258, or a 78 Ford F250, or a '80 Ford Fairmont w/6cyl. Once you have located one of these make sure it works and get the hoses that are attached to it. Have you visited some of the On-board air site? Here are a couple, they will help you know what to look for:
http://home.off-road.com/~tom85cj7/yorkair.htm

Good Luck,

85 CJ7-4.2L,T-176,D300,2.5"lift,32"BFG MT,Durabak,York-Air,HEI

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
All the Grand Wagoneers I have found in my local junkyards have AMC 360 engines and York AC compressors (medium stroke)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would also like to add air to my CJ. I already have a York compressor off of a 77 F250 351M v8; the question is how to attach the beast to my I6. The compressor is mounted horizontally on the v8 and I was wandering if the brackets off of any I6 motor would suffice. I appreciate any info.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To mount a york to a 258 you'll need the brackets off an 78-80 AMC car like Concord, Gremlin, Pacer or any of those very ugly beasts.
If you pull it off at a pick and pull will make it easiest for you because you need the mounting bracket, alternator bracket, adjusting idler pulley and the flat idler pulleys and all the different bolts that are a little longer than those on the block. This will mount the york upright with the alternator right below it.
Also if your york has the input and outputs that are real high, it might not clear your hood in which case you will need the ends off and AMC york which will hopefully fit. I've seen yorks with the input/output ends that either bolt onto the compressor or have are large threaded 1/2'.

Tim has some great pics on his site.
I have to say of all the mods I've done this is the coolest. I love to tell people about my york and how I can run air tools and air up tires OFF MY ENGINE!
/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Registered
370 Posts
If your stripping parts off of a donor 258, get the pulley of off the crank that drives the AC. It's a different size than the pulley that's used on the non-AC engines.

jerry

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif In case someone is interested, I know a Jeep guy who has the big Yorkie 10.3 cubic inches per rev......they are used on Diesel trucks because they don't want the sleeper to get too hot. They are dimensionally the same as any other york, just about 50% more air. 9 CFM at 1500 RPM pump speed. As long as you ar doing it, get the right one./wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
I remember reading somewhere you could tell the stroke lentgh by the tag#

does any one have that link handy? ive got 2 Yorks, I dlike to see whta they are...

thanks

OzarkJeep
NW Arkansas, need a CJ rear seat

1 - 10 of 10 Posts