Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Just finished my motor swap. Took a 258 out and put a 304 in. Got everything hooked up. (I hope)

There is power going to the coil. I get very little, little spark as I turn the key OFF.

A while back I had the same problem when the 258 was in. It was a fuse. I replace a fuse and it worked.

What else could it be???? PLEASE help. Thanks.

1997 TJ w/ 33's & 1984 CJ7 w/35's
http://members.aol.com/a4x4jeeper/

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have a distributor with a pick up coil? Check the coil, and try taking the ignition module to NAPA to have it checked by their computers to see if it is working right.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It sounds like an ignition module, have it checked at any parts store. I recently bought a jeep that had a swapped in electronic distributer and the engine didn't run. My problem turned out to be the previous owner didn't remove the ballast resistor during the swap and the distributer was not getting a full 12 volts. I only mention this because you perfored a swap at the same time.

HTH,
Lee

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
When you say "turn the key off" do YOU REALLY MEAN OFF ......or just back to the on position. .......So no spark cranking..........key goes back to the on position .....no spark.........turn key to OFF position ...LITTLE SPARK.........go pick up a module.

GeeAea

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
it could be a problem with were the ignition relay/starter solenoid get thier power in relation to the starter motor power. (kind of like what happens when you flush the toilet with someone is in the shower, if you know what i mean)

you might try running a temp. wire from the battery to the (+) side of the coil and try to start it. (most coils only want 6 to 9 volts, (not 12) so you will burn up the coil if you leave it on very long,) if it does start you just need to rewire a couple things. (start/not start you need to remove that coil/battery wire when done!)

just my 2 cents,

3/4tonYJ
My Jeep Page

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.