Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I guess winter is here, I had to put on the full soft top due to rain and colder weather in the forecast. I might even have to get the heater connected sometime soon. I will have to get used to the I feel like I'm in a cage feeling for the winter. Don't know who to trust, weather.com or local meteorologists? Anybody else rather be topless?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
You know, I love that hot weather and bikini tops. But I'm not much of a cold weather guy. I spent the summer in 105 degree heat in my YJ with no AC and just the bikini for shade. Now that it's getting into the 30s here in Texas I not only put on my full soft top but went out two weeks ago and bought a CJ7 with a hard top. I'm getting old and soft I guess. Now I gotta' have two Jeeps, one for summer and one for winter. Hell, everybody should have two Jeeps.

'94 YJ, '85 CJ7

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I'll tell ya Roy, I did 4 winters
topless, and last summer I installed my
new softtop. Now that its gotten cold again
this year I feel good all over just THINKING
about how warm and windless my rides are
in my new cage./wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif
Gary'78cj7

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have found something that works amazingly well. Bikini, 2 piece soft doors, a WindJammer on the roll bar and duster cover over rear section - no rear seat. The plastic door surrounds on the TJ make a fair seal for around town, but break loose at hwy speed. This setup works well in the rain and based on the lack of wind movement inside the cab, I expect it to be fairly easy to keep warm too. If it doesn't work, will start replacing stuff a piece at a time. First will be full hard doors. If that doesn't work, the full soft top. Last would be the hard top, but I don't think any of this stuff will have to be put back on.

Doug '97 TJ
My Web Site

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif Ditto on the two Jeep thing. For luxury, it's hard to beat the '97 ZJ, AND it's a real snow buggy at the same time. HOWEVER...there's nothing like the "Pleasant Mechanical Presence" of pre-80's auto (or in this case, Jeep) technology. Just KNOWING I can actually diagnose and FIX it; without a roomfull of diagnostic equipment; is a comfort to me. Our '79 CJ7 SNOJEEP has both a hardtop and hard doors as well as a set of soft doors for use with some other kind of top which we did not actually get with the Jeep. If you think it's cold and miserable back East, try a Central CA foggy, damp, and slightly breezy winter day. It makes 32 seem like zero. You just cannot get warm and stay warm outside, and if you are standing around like in pruning vines or trees, your feet just get colder and colder. Sitting on a tractor that doesn't have a cab or canvas heat duct is also murder. At least Pheasant hunting you are moving a little, so we do a lot of that./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey I'm still runnin topless! If I'm lucky I'll get thru the winter without having to put on my half hard top ! We'll see......

CJ8George
o[[[[o
85 CJ8,258,Weber32/36,4" BDS lift,4.10,35"tires,f/r lockers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, but George, you're cheating, look where you live. We just had a couple of inches of snow 2 nights ago (and my heater core
started leaking on Sun. morning).

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,707 Posts
I did the same thing with the bikini, soft doors and windjammer but no duster. I used to see a guy that
has some kind of half top on his YJ that wrapped around the rollbar and came around the sides to the
upper windows. Every time I saw him he was going the other way so I was never able to chase him
down and find out where he got it. Has anyone else seen one of these?

I left the windjammer in when it got cold and I had to put the full top on. Between that and the blower
motor upgrade, it gets warm real fast in there. I may never need the hardtop again and I've got two of
them, one the full CJ hartop and the other from a Scrambler which I have yet to use because I need to
modify the rollbar.

Just a few more modifications and I'll have two Jeeps, the one I drive now and the one I'll be able to build
from all the parts I took off of it and replace with bigger and better.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
CJ7Taz
I think the top you may have seen was the Pickup Top that is made by California Tops. It is a 3 piece section that encloses the front cab. It has a bikini top,windjammer and tonneau cover. Looks pretty good and doesn't have the large gaps like the Bestop setup.
California Tops is a company from Edmonton, Alberta 403-435-8911

Cutch 88YJ

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I live in South florida and it is bikini weather all the time. :)
The winter full top is a sweatshirt. You put the full soft top on in the summer when is rains every dang day.
Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I agree with you. Its 85 degrees and I just brought twocans of freon, i wish it would get cold but it won't drop to 50 degress till feburary

brownbagg </font color=red>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You wish it would get cold?! /wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif Try 15 degrees with no heater and a soft top and a half hour drive to and from work. /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,707 Posts
Yeah, yeah, yeah, I spent 4 years at McDill AFB, Tampa, FL. Got sunburn putting up lights in the
shape of a Christmas tree since a real tree would have dried out and turned brown in 45 minutes. I
moved back to the midwest where we have four seasons, sometimes more.

Thanks for the info on the top. California Tops isn't in California, ay?

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
One thing I could never understand about the US Army is why they made us drive around in the winter with no top and the windshield down on our M38A1s. BRRRR! /wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif

My current XJ is a lot warmer! A good thing as I'm 25 years older now! /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif That was to toughen you up so you could shoot them commies./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif Of course the commies are all in the White House now; but the weather there is not that pleasant either. /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif If we shut off the A/C in Wash DC, there would be fewer outrageous laws passed.....the crooks would all be outa town./wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif

CJDave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I wish I could have a bikini here in Aberdeen but Summers are to wet and windy, glald to have a heater! We had first snow on 17th Nov, luckily i had just repaired my yoke/u-joint so the aerly snow posed no problem!

BlueJay
93 YJ, currently stuck in 4wd

BlueJay

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just what you guys probably don't want to hear - it's now offically Saturday here & expecting a hot spring day - the roof is already down....Ah how I like a summer xmas :)
Cheers
Wooders.

Cheers
Wooders

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,707 Posts
Wooders

So don't you have a lot of problems with your Jeep being upside down all the time./wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.