Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My warranty has just expired on my 98 TJ and now it's time to play. I stopped by my local muffler shop to inquire about a cat-back system. They told me that I could remove the cat altogether and the only side affects would be that it would be a little louder but it would increase performance more. I live in Alberta Canada and we don't have to take our vehicles for emissions testing, so that is not a concern.

Thanks
Randy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
You need to check with the jeep gurus on this one, but here are my thoughts...
1. All the big muffler manufacturers claim that a hi-po cat will flow really darn great. If you're using stock manifolds, using a hi-po cat would probably not cause you a whole bunch of restriction...
2. Cats need lot of heat to work right...there are probably some sensors that will go banzo-kazooie if you just pull the cat...
3. Too little backpressure (again, this is probably not a concern with a stock manifold...more of a concern with too big of an exhaust and headers) loses that exhaust vacuum scavenger effect and actually hurts power production...

On the other hand:
1. I don't run any cats on my engine and it runs great...but it is a 77, and the cats were more of an after-thought on it. Try to get one of our engine guys on this.

I know that this isn't the definite answer that you are looking for, but as us youngsters begin to learn, we like to theorize about these things and then let the more knowledgeable folk show us the error of our ways.

Measure once, cut twice...or is that the other way around?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i also agree i don't think your gonna gain a huge performance gain if u take it off, u might get slapped with a big fine if u get pulled over and they check and its missing, also when i hollowed mine out from my 88 wrangler,you could do that so its still there, but i can smell alot of gas now, with the windows down or the top off and its really annoying to your eyes!
just my thoughs
(\/)ikey

(\/)ikey
1988 Wrangler Laredo 4.2L w/5spd Manual
1995 Wrangler 2.5L w/ 5spd Manual-dixie horn

1 - 3 of 3 Posts