Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, well I got to wheel up in some local mountains, and all was well untill the last 1/4 mile and my brake pedal started getting REAL soft. Well I made it out and looked at the brake fluid and the rear resevoir was low. I had it full when I left, so I started looking for leaks, and couldn't find any. so, I got back in and the brake pedal was getting a little firmer, so I thought they and maybe just gotten alittle hot and/or wet. so I took off nice and easy to let them cool/dry and everything seems ok. I start down this little mountain road and my pedal is now going almost to the floor. I put it in 1st gear and had enough brakes to get pulled off to the sholder. I pop the cap again and the resvior is even lower, low enough to turn that little brake warning light on. So I add some fluid, and get my buddy to start pumping the brakes, because that fluid is cerntianly goings somewhere, and I didn't see a drop of brake fluid anywhere.

So I finally get out of the mountain road and on straighter and flatter ground and nurse it back home to my garage, and sit here wondering what's wrong.

I have a thought that it might be the diafram in the power booster with a leak and the fluid is getting in there. I still don't see any leaks in the lines or on the wheels. and that's about the only place that could hold that much fluid. any thoughts?
thanks and sorry so long
surveyboy

http://www.csupomona.edu/~sdmiller1/jeep.htm

G

·
Re: No brakes, what an uneasy feeling.

your front calipers might be leaking around the piston, and then burning up the fluid if its hot enough.

JR

The road is calling, Ignore it!!
There is life after asphalt.

·
Official Historian
8,339 Posts

Yes, the larger rear resorvoir is for the front brakes.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Well I got my big butt down and started checking out the lines now everything had dried from wheeling.
Got the jeepchick to push on the brake pedal and found the leak. the line coming down to that junction box on the frame was cracked and spewing. Don't know why I could see it while I was on the side of the road. I probably could have came up with something to fix it to get home.
oh well. now to figure out to buy them pre-bent, or bend and flare my own.
thats another post.
surveyboy

http://www.csupomona.edu/~sdmiller1/jeep.htm

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,707 Posts

First, thanks for posting this, it reminded me to check my brake fluid level. I put disks on the rear and have to refill the little reservoir every so often.

Brake lines are double flared, look at the end when you take it loose. Flaring kits for double flare are pretty expensive. The good news is that you should be able to buy pre-flared tubing within a couple inches of any length you want. The bending tool is pretty inexpensive too.

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,707 Posts

No, the double flare is completely different.

Just check out the pre-flared, they come straight. I think you will find that they are so cheap that it's not worth flaring your own.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.