Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just thinking of this one time I got stuck. The oilpan was directly on a stump and I had to jack the truck up to move it. I was wondering has anyone else worried about this exposed oilpan with no skidplate? Seems silly to me. Has anyone built a plate for thier truck or does everyone just hope they dont get hung up on something like i did? Also the gastank-I have the factory skidplate and must say Im not impressed. I went over (anothr) large stump and stopped abruptly when the stump grabbed my gastank. While my tank didnt rupture my gastank now holds 4 gallons less because it has changed shape with the help of the stump. Has anyone beefed up thier plate? Also Im looking for a gastank for a 1986.5 Hardbody. Somewhere around N.H. please

Throw it in reverse and grab second
www.dreamwater.com/todbug

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have had the same concern as my oil pan also has several dents in it. This last summer I designed and constructed a skid plate for just this application. Was pretty easy, could post my dimensions if you are interested. It may be even easier for you if you design it on a piece of cardboard first (thats what I did) then you can set up the bends and the mounting holes (don't forget oil drain plug access) in their correct locations. Also, you may want to drill a few 3/8 inch holes in the the middle of the plate. This helps to drain off the oil that will accumulate on it when you change your oil. A word of warning, when you drill the mounting holes in the forward most cross member of your truck be carefull, there is a brake line that runs parallel to this piece and you dont want to drill through it. I damn near found that out the hard way. E mail me if you want a more detailed description.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If anyone is interested I have scanned in the template for the oil pan skid plate I designed this last summer. This was designed around a 89 D21 V6 5speed manual but, imagine it would apply to most any year (D21/Pathfinder?) as I don't believe the design of the frame ( mounts to cross-members in front and behind oil pan) was changed. I am not sure how the oil drain plug on the four cylinder will line up with the basic layout, cut out for oil drain plug may have to be re-located for this application. I would recommend making a scale cardboard version first to locate mounting points and to establish the correct bends. If interested, reply to this message and I will forward you a copy.
ScottJ

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Scott, I'd like to see it. I know Mr Murphy and his laws too well to be willing to leave a potential trouble spot open to risk. Now that I know about it if I don't do something then..... I'll be recycling oil right back into the earth.
Send it to [email protected]

thanks,

Brian Oberle
95 Pathfinder XE

1 - 5 of 5 Posts