Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what are those 2 nipples about 2 inches long near the rear tires coming off the frame for(besides ripping skin off)?

On the other hand, 1.)I have a wierd noise coming from the underside and front. When i'm near a wall or another car I can hear this clicking/crunching noise (kinda lik when the hubs are locked and you have a loose center cap or a lug nut fell off). I have checked everything but the front wheel bearings, And all is good.

2. I also have this vibrating( has nothing to do with nipples) feeling more times than not (which feels like a binded up u joint). I checked those and they're good. so I jacked the rear up and checked the brakes they're good. I decided to spin the axles to see if i can hear any noises. Well I heard all kinds of noises 1.sounded and felt as if my gears in the rear aren't meshing correctly, 2.) there was this thump feeling as I spun it like something(Bearings) are shot. I can move the axle up and down side to side but only a tiny bit. Is this normal? It happens at all speeds and sometimes disappears for a day. the feeling in the cab is like brakes dragging or u-joint bad but those aren't it. Any Ideas I'd appriciate.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
those 4 pins(2 on the fornt also) held the truck on the rack while it was being assembled at the ford plant. they can be pounded straight up for removal.

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
Re: Grinding

Sounds like some bad bearings. Pick up each front wheel and spin it by hand as fast as you can. Then feel the hub while it's spinning - a bad bearing there will be obvious. You can also press a screwdriver to it and put your ear to the screwdriver handle, like a stethoscope.

Pull the plug from the rear diff & dip your finger into the oil - it should be RIGHT at the bottom of the fill plug hole. If it's NOT full, or if it's milky, plan on draining it & replacing some seals & bearings. (...like me this weekend!
) You can also spin test the rears, but it's easiest with BOTH off the ground at the same time with the t-case in N.

None of the wheels should move up/down by hand AT ALL, and only the rears should move in/out VERY slightly (like 1/32"). Once when my fronts seemed loose, I found it was the front axle pivot bolts being loose, allowing the WHOLE axle beam to wiggle in & out.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts

there rear cover is an easy off/on, so if you have not changed gear oil in awhile, this might be the best thing to do now. Taking the cover off will give you a good visual.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I've been leaning towards the bearings myself. The diff fluid was changed about a year ago, it is full up to the opening (smells bad) but is full. Does look a little milky though. But when you spin the tires on the rear it has that klicking bearing sound and feel. Are they hard to do? I've never messed with axles yet. Only engine work but there is a first for everything.
The fronts don't make any noise except the warped rotor usual sound. I'm wondering if those hubs(Warn) are f'd up, I haven't used them in a couple of months. I'm gonna try to 4H & 4L tomorrow and see if I can still hear the noise. You fill the rear gear oil until it starts to come out the hole right?

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
Re: ar axle

Yes, on filling.

The rear "wheel" bearings aren't REALLY hard, and it doesn't require the gears to be set up, so it IS something you can do. Pull the cover, pull the cross-shaft bolt & then the shaft, push the axle inboard, and fish the C-clip out of the diff. Then carefully withdraw the axle from the tube. Pull the seal and then "get the bearing out"!
There is a slide-hammer attacment for doing this, but I've always rigged something up each time. I can't remember what, but it's something like a 2-jaw puller reaching around a flat bar, or a heavy washer on the end of a STRONG bolt... Anyway, when it's out, the rest is easy. I'm using a "repair bearing", which shifts the bearing outboard so I don't have to replace my damaged axle yet. I'll snap a few pics this weekend when I do it.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Cool, doesn't sound real hard. I'll have to do this this weekend when I'm done with the axle drops. I want to take the cover off the rear anyhow, I had a garage change the fluid last time but when I came to this board I found out about extending the vent tubes(a little late) so that's probably where my "milkiness" is comming from. I sure hope it looks good in there
!

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I have a question about spindles. I pulled my rotors off for a brake job and to check the bearings. On the pass. side It took a hell of a time getting the rotor and hub off the spindle. Seem to be siezed on the spindle after 5 hard yanks (no pun intended) it came off. The spindle looks ok but has a black ring around the base of it, but will come off with emerycloth. Is this spindle shot? This was definitely my grinding clanging sound the bearing have big pits in them. So I'm gonna replace bearings, seals, brakes, get rotors cut or new. Do I need to replace the spindle you think?

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Front bearings

Ya it looks good. I just put these bearings on a year ago, there was a bunch of dirt and sh!t mixed in the grease when I got the hubs off today Good reason why they failed!
. Guess I'll have to replace that o-ring around the cap. I should of went with MM instead of Warn oh well. I'm gonna be putting my axle drops on Saturday Morning along with new piviot bushings. Thanks-Bob

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
Re: Front bearings

i bet it's the hub seal, not the cap o-ring. usually my inner bearing is packed with mud and the outer is still mostly grease when i pull them apart... there's not much space between the seal and the inner bearing so it gets exposed first

1 - 11 of 11 Posts