Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cylinders 1 and 6 were so badly worn that boring it .30 over was out of the question. SO, I have been told that I should bore it .60 over. Has anyone done this with their rebuild? Frankly I am getting a little freaked out by it all, and I hope that it is going to be worth dumping the money into to make it run. Still gonna deck the head and get a valve job done as well. HELP!?!?!

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
1. Rule of thumb: 30 over OK, 60 over OK.... then you're done.
2. If you plan on keeping the Jeep and re-building the engine a THIRD time somday in the future.... get a donor block.
3. Is this Unusual? Nope... it does happen.
4. Is it worth dumping the money into? Well, that's a good question... only one you can answer.
5. Would I be afraid of the 60 over? Nope... not a bit.... Parts is Parts... and they all make the Jeep go.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reassurance. They quoted me a price of $760 including parts, balancing, etc. Only thing missing will be the cam. Looking like I will have about $1500 in the engine when all is said and done, but it'll be TRICK. Plus the machine shop offers a WARRANTY. Gotta love that!

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
I like dealin' local... but check the warranty real close and ask questions like: "What happens if I'm 1500 miles from the shop and the piston skirt fractures?" You could be out the price of another engine.

·
Registered
232 Posts
If it really bothers you, try to find a decent donor block in a bone yard somewhere. I am sure that AMC 360's are not super common, but not too terribly hard to find either.

Then, instead of doing the 0.060 over, you might be able to get away with only 0.030 over. Do you want to spend the money on another block, though?

It should not hurt, though.

Best regards

John

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.