Off Roading Forums banner

Newbie Questions

513 views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
Hello All,

I'm new to 4 wheeling and have a couple of questions.

I bought a jeep tj that came with the dana 35 rear end. I've installed a rubicon express 3" lift kit and am going to run 33's. I want to install lockers and possibly new gearing. Is the dana 35 rear end worth spending the money on, or should I just wait until I can afford a dana 44?

Thanks,
John

#2 ·
Even though there are some kits that you can get to upgrade the 35 with stronger axles, general concensus is that the housing is the weak point of the 35. I had even heard that ARB had discontinued their air locker for the 35 at one point. With the 44 offered as a TJ axle, you could pick one up from a salvage yard, or used, and it would be a bolt-in, easy swap.

I would definitely save up for the 44.

Good luck, and welcome to Jeeping /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif. Don't forget to wave.

Pete

88YJ, 4"susp, 33"BFGMT, 9k#winch, rear homemade swingout, reb.258, 999, 4.10, weber32/36, GMHEI.

G
#3 ·
Don't count on finding one in a salvage yard. First of all, there aren't that many TJs with 44s, the vast majority of them were ordered
or bought by people that were uninformed when they bought them. Finding one of those would be like finding the elusive, almost
mythical 1986 CJ-7 Dana 44 just laying there in a salvage yard (I've been looking for one of those for about 10 years!).

Brad
Get active or get locked out, the choice is yours.

#4 ·
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Ya know, I actually saw one of those mythical 44's about a week ago. My first ever sighting. I to thought their existince was a myth. I think sighting those axles is good omen. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

#5 ·
If it's an Oman, then I am still waiting...I saw a guy who had an 86 CJ7 with a 44 in the rear and he had no idea what I was talking
about when I asked him about it! He just said that he bougth the Jeep new and just drove it. It is in totally stock form. Oh well!

Alec

G
#7 ·
Yeah, occasionally you see one for sale, there were a couple here recently. But try finding a wrecked one! /wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif

Brad
Get active or get locked out, the choice is yours.

#8 ·
I wheel with someone who stumbled across this mystical beast. Truck was in pretty much a stock form.... at least 'til we got a hold of it! /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

RocknCJ /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

#9 ·
Hey, ya never know - a wrecked TJ, front end collision, bent frame, motor's trash, - totaled, but hit maybe from the side so it didn't push the whole mess into the rear axle.....

I had seen one for sale once - fell off the truck on delivery! Had 6 miles on it. It toppled off the truck - top, tub, front sheetmetal, winshield frame - all mashed and dented. Ya gotta wonder how stuff like that happens... /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

Pete

88YJ, 4"susp, 33"BFGMT, 9k#winch, rear homemade swingout, reb.258, 999, 4.10, weber32/36, GMHEI.

G
#12 ·
Maybe I should just follow someone around that has a stock jeep that never leaves the pavement but bought the dana 44 without knowing then crash into them with my Tomken bumper again and again until the jeep is totalled then go to the junkyard and get the dana 44.....

G
#13 ·
If your good with welding then that is the other option. Build a truss on the top of the hosing so you don't loose ground clearance. I did that on my Model20 and can drop it off a two story building without any damage....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.