Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i know this is pretty sad but what is the gear setting positions on a 73 transfer case, 4 hi , i mean
what order do they go in, cause it seems i have only two posions, any info would be greatly appreciated.

· Registered
7,901 Posts
From 2H, 4H is straight back at you. If you push it forward, it's Neutral, then 4L. Good luck.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205/7" Lift/33" Swampers/D44's F&R 4.10's & Lockrights

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you have a Dana 20, which is stock for that year, it will be the opposite of what Jeepn said, I think that is the pattern for a Dana 300. In 2-H, 4-H will be one position forward, or as far as it will push forward. Pulling it one position back from 2-H will be in neutral, easy check is that your jeep will obviously not move. Pull the lever back all the way and you will be in 4-L. Sometimes if you rock the Jeep back and forth a little it will make changing the the gears easier. Sometimes my 74 CJ-5 does not want to go into 4-L and I have to pull pretty hard. I don't know why it does this.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
While we are on this subject, I'm new too. My 74 CJ 5 has 4wd, but there is no shaft connected to the front wheel drive right now. Once that's done, how do I engage 4wd mode? I heard I had to lock the hubs, put the 4wd shifter into the gear of my choice and then put the tranny in reverse and back up a bit to engage? Please advise.

· Registered
1,134 Posts
You shouldn't have to back up to engage it, but when you want to go back to 2wd: put t-case in 2wd, unlock hubs, then go
in reverse for one full rotation of the tires 10' or so to completely unlock the hubs.

Big Ed
'88 YJ, 4" susp, 3" body, 33's, 283 Chevy V8, TH350, 4.11's, D30, D35c

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the drive shaft is removed from the front axle, there may be a good reason for it. Someone on this board a month or so ago had a similar situation with a Jeep he just bought. Turned out the two axles had different gear sets. A BAD situation. If you do NOT know why the drive shaft was removed, you might do some checking. Could save you some money.

Doug '97 TJ
Creator of the CBrack
My Web Site

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice Doug. Since I live in FLA, the 4wd is NOT a priority to me right now, but when it is (in like 3 months), I'll be taking the whole Jeep into my 4x4 shop and have them check it out and put a new shaft in there, make sure it's all lined up, lubed and ready to go muddin in Ocala..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Carl, Where do you live, orlando, deland, daytona?

I live in daytona, and could help you get setup to hit ocala... Its my favorite playground... Looking to make more jeep'n buddies so I can go more often... ;) Lemme know. I've only had my jeep a year and a half now, but I think I've got a good handle on most problems...

Florida Mud CJ-5
'77 RB304, t-150 D20 4" 35" swampers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.