Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess it is more like two ?s...1) Can you run for long periods of time with the hubs locked???...Like say just in case you want to stop and go to 4wd w/o looking the hubs...2) How fast can you drive in 4hi in a CJ with a t-14 trans, dana 18 xc, and warn overdrive???...

Josh Lavalleur
'70 CJ5 4.6L V6
D27 & D44 axles
T-14 3-speed, D18 XC, Warn OD

G

·
Josh,

Driving with your hubs locked is not a problem unless, you are going on a long trip in your Jeep. Your gas mileage would decrease because you are turning the front axle. As for how fast, NO faster than the speed limit on the road you are traveling. Also remember you would be in 4wd for a reason, like bad weather. So you would not be going fast anyway.

Happy Jeepin!

'78 CJ7 304, rust, inspected!/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

G

·
If you want to I see where leaveing your hubs locked in would hurt anything.
Yes you will have more drag and ware on the moveing parts. It is good to
run it locked once a month anyway. warms up the seals and oil so to dry
things out and get things lubed agin.Was a time we didnot have lockout huds
anyway.

G

·
As for the speed need to know your axles are geared
and size of your motor.Size of your tires.
Seat of your pants should tell you a little about
what your jeep will run well at what speed.

· Official Curmudgeon
5,207 Posts
It's bad to lock in the front hubs in a snowstorm while you are filling the tank and then forget to shift into
4WD after you pay the attendant and get on the road./wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif

· Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well thank you guys I apperciate it...I am planning on driving my Jeep the 260 miles from school to home after winter break...I have to go over Snoqualmie pass and I don't want to stop to lock my hubs if conditions require 4WD...I just want to stop put it into 4wd and go...I would probably un lock the hubs at Indian John hill which is about 75 miles from my house...

Josh Lavalleur
'70 CJ5 4.6L V6
D27 & D44 axles

G

·
Not to be a jerk, I'm just curious, why not take the 30 seconds it takes to stop and lock 'em in when you need 'em? You might not even need to use 4wd at all!

G

·
Here's a time saving trick. Only lock the passenger side hub. Saves wear and you don't have to do the chinese fire drill in the snow/rain/etc.

· Registered
4,757 Posts
how is that going to help with an open diff?
you will experience bad milage and still not have the benefit of 4wd
we used to do that on icy roads when our diffs were welded though....

G

·
ever been on snoqualamie in the winter? not the most fun i can tell you.

running the hubs locked will not hurt a thing unless your front driveshaft is not balanced good.

if you need 4wd on that pass, you shouldnt be moving very fast anyway. make sure you are running GOOD tires and dont forget your chains(big ticket if you dont have em).

dan
build 'em don't buy 'em
why is there no mazda thread?
I feel left out.:p

· Registered
1,419 Posts
When I lived outside detriot we use to lock the hubs at the beginning of season and remind lock till spring. While running all season in 2wd till we needed fwd. Remember the old cj2 had alway lock fronts with weaker axle, they lasted. I do not see no reason not to lock for 260 miles or 26,000 miles.

brownbagg </font color=red>

· Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As a matter of fact I have run Snoqualmie in the winter many times...I am used to running a Two-wheel drive subaru that is solid as a rock in the snow up there...If there was snow up there it would be only the second time that I had ever driven a four-wheel drive in the snow...I don't have chains nor studs...I wish I could afford a set of studs...I will probably just stop kick my passenger out and make him lock the hubs if it needs be.... :)

Josh Lavalleur
'70 CJ5 4.6L V6
D27 & D44 axles

G

·
just like has already been said . All the full time tranfer cases like Jeeps with Q-trac pickups with
203 tranfer cases ran power to the front axles full time and they ran for years.[still running]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.