Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cant get my 84 CJ7 I6 to start. I am new to this whole process so I have some general questions. First what I think I know. If this is wrong please correct me.

Battery- The electrical power supply for everything in the vehicle

Alternator- Simply is turned from a belt coming from the motor and is used to charge the battery

Starter - gets juice from the battery and turns the motor

Now for the parts I dont know

Solenoid - No clue

Coil - No clue

Distributor- I think but not sure that when the engine turns it turns and then it gets power from the battery and sends a voltage to the appropriate spark plug which in turn fires.

Because my jeep is a later model it has what the Haynes book calls an electronic ignition module. What does this do? It does not say. It just tells you how to install/replace it.

My Jeep will not start and I know that the starter is turning the motor. So therefore it can not be the starter or battery. So I assume it must be the coil, distributor or possible the solenoid?

Thanks for all the explanations.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif Solenoid....just a very big switch. When you turn the key to "start" it sends a small amount of current to the solenoid and causes the solenoid to close which sends a HUGE amount of battery current directly to the starter. If you didn't have a solenoid the starter current would have to go through the key and that would required a key switch so big that it would not fit in the steering column. COIL....a sort of voltage step-up device which takes your 12 volts and hops it up to 12 thousand for the spark plugs. The ignition module gets a signal from the distributor and passes it to the coil to tell the coil to fire so the spark will go into the center hole on the distributor cap, and then out on whichever wire that the rotor happens to be pointing to. Since your engine does turn over with the starter, obviously we know that the BIG SWITCH (solenoid) is OK. I will either be the module or the coil. You can check to see if the (+) terminal on the coil has current. Hope this helps.

CJDave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One of the first things they teach you in any basic auto course is to check if the motor is getting: 1. Fuel; 2. electricity; 3. air into
carb (or FI for you modern guys). Easy to check for fuel, pump pedal, is it squirting into the carb, disconnect fuel line into an
appropriate can, is pump working. Electricity=spark, remove a plug, ground it against the block, turn engine over. If no spark, start
working backwards to see where the electricity ends. Air, make sure choke is working, air cleaner not obstructed. The above is a
VERY short course in basic troubleshooting.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
If you have an automatic transmisson, it could be the neutral safety switch. This switch prevents the engine from starting while the trans is in gear. It allows the engine to start in Park and Neutral. Try starting it in Neutral if it won't start in Park. Good Luck!! /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.