Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at new and used TJs and see the tranny is new and "improved" for 00.

What tranny was in the older TJs? What was "deficient" that needed improvement? or is this just marketing fluff.

Has anyone had problems with TJ trannys?

Are the ratios the same? How/where can I find the ratios for past years.

Is **new** really **improved** or is it just different?

Thanks,

Dan

99 4Runner (wifes grocery getter)
88 Bronco * FOR SALE *
Wanted 97+ TJ sport 5spd

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The new tranny is called a NV3550, basically the same as the wide ratio NV3500 used by Dodge and GM, except the bellhousing is removable. 320Lb/Ft torque rating, used with up to 5.2l V8s by Dodge. It has a lower first gear than the AX15, 4.04-1. The AX15s are in the mid 3s. The AX15s tended to break the 5th gear syncros, jamming the trans. Parts are very expensive also. I'm sure the NV3500 costs alot less to make than importing the AX-15 from Japan. The only downfall with the NV3550/3500 trans is that it is noisier than most other types, so much so that Chrysler put a hold on 5-speed XJs until and if they can get the noise level down enough to satisfy "XJ" owners! (The noise can be best described as a slight rattle/growl in neutral).
Hope this answers your quetions!

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
The AX-15's also tended to be notchy going into second, especially in cold weather. There are a lot of cases, even some where the tranny was swapped out, but the problem still exists. Synthetic oil helps this alot, but below freezing it's still noticeable.

The first on the AX-15 is also 3.83.

It's a good tranny, I've never heard of anyone blowing one up, but then when most people swap in a larger motor they also swap in a larger tranny. The AX-15 is tried and true, for the most part that is. As to the NV3550, we'll have to see, but I'm willing to be it'll be every bit as good (maybe better) than the AX-15.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7"Lift/33"TSL's/IHC D44's 4.10's Lock'd

1 - 3 of 3 Posts