Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to jeeps(not really my jeep its my g/f's) and wanted to know a few things on lifts. With the springs being under the axel I know that blocks wont work but will add a lefs? What are some ether cheep lifts. She wnats 33x12.50's on it. I have been told that I (she) will need 4" of lift to do this. I will not put more than 2" of body lift on it so I need 2" more. Any help would be great.

I would like to say sorry to all thows that answered so far. My girl friends jeep is a 90 wrangler hope this helps a littel

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No add a leafs it's not enough and way stiff. You don't say what it is. If itis a cj the 4" will clear the 33' tires if a yj the 4" plus you might need an inch or of body to clear them. If a cherrokee then it's ore,buti'm not sure how much. Spend a buck and quit thinking cheap.Good parts arn't cheap and vice versa. The cheapest lift youd want is a skyjacker soft ride, but i recomend something like rubicon express or tarflex. Trust me, i know all to well. A cheap 4" lift can be sooooo stiff you'd regret it soon. Don't do body lift if you don't have to, they look like hell.Skyjackers have a tendancy to settle a little so you might need an inch of boody lift after a few months.

Al
My web page

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
do you (or your girl friend) have a CJ, YJ, or a TJ? they each need different amounts of lift to run 33's. generally speaking you will need to go with a mild suspension lift (new srings and shocks) and maybe a 1" or 2" body lift depending on what kind of jeep you have. you could ask people who have jeeps that look like you want yours to, (most everyone likes to talk about thier own jeep and will gladly tell you what they did to it.)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hear what you are saying about spending the mony to get a good lift. The problem is she dose not have it(my money gose to my truck). Allso this is just realy for looks of a lift and not for a lot of hard offroading she might mud it every now and then but thats it. She will be driving to and from work in it most of the time.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll probably get hammered for saying this, but here it is anyway. If she's not gonna really be 4 wheeling it much and wants the lift for looks - you can put on a 3" body lift ($60-75). That should clear the 33s on a YJ, maybe not by much, but she can drive around with bigger tires for looks. Keep in mind that not only will she not have much clearance for flex, but she will have added stress on the body mounts with the 3" lift and she may also not have much power to roll around on depending on what her axle gears are. For example if shes got 33's and 2.73 axle gears with a 5 speed tranny, that 5th gear may become useless unless shes rolling downhill. BUT you could do this option cheaply for now and then, when she can afford it, buy a 2 1/2" suspension lift (some are only $400-450 delivered) and cut the body lift spacers in half to get a more reasonable, functional overall result. Just a thought.
Shain

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.