Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that my Goodyear GSA's aren't looking too good after 20k miles, pretty disapointed. I also have two small leaks, in two different tires. I would like a set of tires which have very long tread life, and perform good off road. I do not not care about road noise. I was thinking about BFG MT's or AT's. Almost all of my driving is on road, but I have heard that the BFG MT last a really long time. Should I get a harder rubber tire for a longer tread life? Any suggestions? Thanks.
Russ

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I love my BFG MT's....got over 20,000 miles on them in a year and a half and they still have at least 50% tread. The road noise isn't bad at all, just make sure you ROTATE them regularly!!! Oh yeah and I use them quite often off-road and they do great there too, hardly any chunking of the tread.

absolutjeep
http://members.tripod.com/iluvjeeps

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rotate them like every 3000 miles...at first I didn't and they wore funny but now that I rotate them regularly the wear has evened out. They make almost no noise when new and at about 3/4 tread they are just starting to make some noise. stopping on ice or wet down hills are really hairy though/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif.
-Mark

80 CJ-7 Laredo 304v8 TF999 3.73's BFG M/T's

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I've run BFG All terrains on several vehicles and seem to get around 40,000 miles out of them. They are very good tires for a mostly street driven vehicle. They work good in the snow and are alright in the mud. Mud T/A's would be a better choice if you are going to do a marginal amount of trail riding' but they do get a little hairy in a hard rain on pavement. They are both good choices, just have to decide what you want to do.

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo
1999 Dakota 4x4
/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gifo[[[[o

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
We ran the 31" BFG MT's on our TJ, just put a set of AT's on for the winter (already had them) because the MT's were getting down there (still passed inspection though). They had over 50K on them (no 5th rotation). We love them and will buy another set in the spring for wheelin' in the mud. I highly recommend them.

JEEPN
'97 TJ Sport
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
'71 Commando SC-1
'51 CJ-3A
'47 CJ-2A

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If long-life is your concern, I would suggest you check out the Cooper Discoverer STT. These are a little louder than BFG M/T's, but will outlast them and have a better warranty (covers OFF-road problems). They're also cheaper. You should expect at least 50,000 miles out of a set on a light-weight vehicle.

Cooper Tires

Also, look at the standard Discoverer while you're there. That's an extremely long-lasting tire for an all-terrain. Expect at least 60,000 miles out of those on a light-weight vehicle - SERIOUSLY! Performance wise, the standard Discoverer isn't that great off-road, but is a great high-way tire.

TEX

/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have not been too happy with Goodyear either. The GSA's on our 98 Grand Cherokee went down to nothing at about 30K and had one blow out the side on our 95 Cherokee. They are expensive tires that don't hold up. I am a firm believer in rotating your tires, it really does help. If you like them, go for hte B.F. Goodrich A/T's, that would be fine for your driving. My CJ-7 has B.F. Goodrich 31's on it and they work great on or off road. I think the next new vehicle I get, I'll ask for it without tires and give them mine to put on.

Good Luck!
It's always good to have at least one Jeep in the driveway.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Those Cooper's look pretty aggresive. Tex, do you know anyone, or have you used these tires in the past. They will see mostly on road, but I do like to go play in the mud every once and a while.
Russ

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've had 5 sets & know plenty of people who would not buy anything else. My warranty experience was as follows: with 50% tread gone at 26,000 miles (full-size, full-time GMC Jimmy), I rubbed a rock on a trail & the sidewall abrasion caused a bubble. My local dealer then (after I was truthful with him) replaced the tire for 50% of HIS cost - no labor or tax charge. I run these on my tow vehicle since the infields at some mud races get pretty sloppy - especially if it's rained recently. They are definitely louder than the BFG Mud Terrains (especially as they get below 50% tread), but I don't know anyone who's gotten the kind of mileage out of BFG's that we have from the Coopers. Personally, I can tolerate these as a daily tire, but some folks may be offended by the noise. They're pretty darn good in snow, too. And they handle pretty well (not something I can say for the one set of Uniroyal Laredo M/T's I had). They won't go like Swampers in the mud, but I can't tolerate Swampers on a daily driver. I've taken money home from several mud races running these Coopers in the past, running against street trucks. But, there weren't as many Swampers around back then - haven't raced with the Coopers since '94. To tell the truth, I've only purchased one set of non-Coopers for my street-driven cars AND trucks since 1986.

TEX

/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

1 - 9 of 9 Posts