Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Shackles on YJ, can\'t get out bolt!!

I am trying to install a set of hypershackles on the rear of my 89 YJ. The top shackle bolt hits the gas tank when I try to remove it. What is the best way to get this bolt out? Torch, hacksaw, remove gas tank??? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Re: New Shackles on YJ, can\'t get out bolt!!

I had the same problem, I solved it with a sawzall. If you don't have one, get the hacksaw out. Keep the torch in the garage, you don't want to find out you have a gas leak the hard way.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Ok here's how it worked for me, I whent at it w/ a hack saw and metal blade for an hour or so, didn't even get 1/2 way through the bolt... Try this, take off the left part of the shackle, then take out the rubber bushing (then your gonna be able to move the bolt around slightly), then your gonna want to wiggle the bolt and try and get it out that way (there's an empty space in the back of the gas tank, inbetween the tank and the skid plate). DON'T BE AFFRAID THE HIT THE BOLT!!! WITH A HAMMER, lol... U might have to hit the bolt to get it in to that empty space behind the gas tank, u also might have to used the shackle (banging it back and forth, moving the bolt out) good luck... I wish I'd taken pics, but I'd had my head on a log for the past hour and a half or so, I think it left a pernmanent mark, lol... /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

Good luck,
Peter Lombardi
'89 YJ, 4.5 in RE Extreme duty, 15x10 767's, 33x12.50 BFG AT ko's

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I used an air chisel on mine. I just back the bolt out as far as I could and stuck the chisel on there and held on for about a minute. Of course I don't think I ever found the head of that bolt either /wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

If you're trying to remove stock shackles (or any shackles with sides that can be separated), then the suggestion above about removing one side along with its bushing is the best choice. The next best choice is to remove the bolts that mount the rear edge of the gas tank skid plate. This allows you to move the gas tank just enough so that you can work the upper shackle bolts out. I did mine this way. I also took advantage of the fact that the gas tank is polyurethane and can flax a little. No need to go destroying parts. Just remember to put the shackle bolts in the opposite direction to make it easier to get them out the next time.

·
Registered
153 Posts

Jun11:
I had the same problem when I did my suspension lift. We decided to take the spring hanger off to get to the bolts easier. Drivers side we felt like we were pretty smart. Passenger side the rear bolt broke off and the remainder of the bolt is still sticking out after the lift!! I still have to get to that bolt. You might as well find out now and there is no better time to put heavy duty shackle hangers on. There was some good help on this board about a week ago on a thread "Speaking of nasty bolts" that I started regarding this same bolt. I'm visiting a welder friend this evening to get going on it. Otherwise I am going to be longer getting my bumper installed since it ties onto the frame using the very same captured nut the bolt to the spring hanger is frozen in/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif!! Oh well, shouldn't we all learn how to weld?/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif. Hope this helps.

Brit
85 CJ7

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Oops, I think the spring hanger suggestion applies to CJ's while the original post was for a YJ. The upper rear shackle bolt on a YJ goes through the frame - no spring hanger to remove.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Your new shackles should have come with new bolts. Therefore you don't need the factory bolt so do like the others and myself did, and sawzall that PITA bolt off.

-Dorian
88 YJ w/ multi-speed wipers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Peter is right,
Take off the outer 1/2 of the shackle, remove the outer bushing, push the inside bushing in toward the tank with the bolt, and it will come out.
The Doc.

---------------------
Mike Duncan
[email protected]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts