Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got it home on Saturday.

Here we have a completely rust free '84 CJ8 Scrambler. It has an XJ 4.0 and AW4 already installed and running, with a Novak adapter and clocked flat D300. This was a project Jeep that a friend of mine ran out of time and patience on. Most of the bulk work is done, and now it just needs the time-consuming finishing touches.

I have fenders coming, and it will be painted something between royal blue and navy blue. We're still deciding. The interior will get line-x'd, and it will run TJ seats. It's twin-sticked, and it has the 23 gallon fuel cell with aftermarket heavy duty skid plate. It also has the half cab bulkhead, but no top. I'm gonna leave it as a pickup, though. I love the way that looks.

Damn.....looks like I'll be busy for a while. But my garage looks way cooler now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
Your going to repaint YELLOW a Jeep? That's sacrilege! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nice find, I hope you got a great deal on it!

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
sweet find.....its impossible to find a rust free jeep locally here....road salt and all.

how about some more pictures so we can appreciate it in its full extended wheelbase goodness? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I got a good deal. And the yellow is a re-paint, anyway. The original color was silver, but that will just not happen again. It's getting darker (although, I do like the yellow, in a sick and twisted kind of way). If it was up to me, it'd be charcoal gray, but the wife wants medium dark blue...since she's gonna be driving it the most, that's what she gets.

It has the 4.0/aw4/d300 conversion, twin sticks, PRP Daily Drivers (which are going straight into my TJ, and the TJ seats are going into the CJ), Jegs aftermarket tranny cooler and electric fan, Mohave Heater in the rear, and 33" Dick Cepek FC-II's on 15x8 Mickey Thompson Classics.

The body is pretty straight (a couple of wrinkles here and there...very clean for a 24 year old vehicle). There is no rust. At all. The frame is boxed and clean. Axles are stock (for now), and it has a Waggy steering box.

It is incomplete, however. I have fenders coming as part of the deal, but it has no windshield. The d300 is clocked flat, so it needs a flat skid. I have to make it (and will design it based on that awesome design Pnut showed in his other thread). The steering is not hooked up, due to linkage issues. The steering column is shot, but I have a Waggy tilt column that will work fine. The XJ wiring harness is in and working, but the wiring needs to be cleaned up. The motor has an AC compressor on it. Instant OBA for me. I still need to run the exhaust. Or, more to the point, my local exhaust shop still needs to run it. I'm going to Line-X the interior. I need a longer speedo cable. There are a bunch of little things still to do. It's mostly detail work at this point, though. The major issue (new engine in and running) has already been taken care of. Oh, and then of course I still need to get it smogged and certified, too. THAT should be fun...

I paid $5K for the project, and figure I'll have another $1500 - $2000 into it by the time I get it done. With what clean running rust-free CJ8's are going for these days, I think I'll come out ahead. This will not be a serious wheeler. Just part-time fire road bomber and street queen.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's a couple pics....

This picture was taken on the day my buddy brought the Scrambler home. It was a running, driving rig when he got it (but the 258 was tired and spewed oil).

He had planned on a 1-ton buildup, which is why he gutted it. I'm planning to bring it back to this condition, but with a different color and with the nicer tires and wheels, plus the FI motor and automatic.

Here's pretty much what it looks like today (except that little damage on the rear corner has already been pounded out and sanded down to bare metal and primered).

You can follow his build here: http://www.jeepaholics.com/support/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=47501. The last entry is about where he quit on it. I passed on the 14-bolt and H2 wheels, since I'm not gonna make it a won-ton. I already have a different axle in mind for the TJ, too. So He found me a set of clean CJ fenders instead, which will be much more useful to me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts