Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Nice pics. Sorry, don't think that's a secure recovery point up front, but whatever works for you. Just remind me to not take a pull from you......

·
Registered
200 Posts
Ditto Shilo---but nice pics anyways.

G

·
Well, IMO all that bracketry's gotta go. For a secure recovery point you want it to be mounted directly to the frame w/quality hardware or to a STOUT, properly designed bumper (like a winch bumper). Is there room to mount the hook on the bottom of the framerail and notch the bumper so you can get to it? Sometimes you can just move the bumper up, too.

·
Registered
723 Posts
got to agree looks like one good snatch and it will just move forward i bolted mine to the frame and notched the bumper just a bit

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
that is exactly what i did to mine:
notched the bumper, and bolted a tow hook right up to the frame. (got the idea from TheJuice). Do it right, and it look like its supposed to be there!

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
Hooks

I've never liked the idea of mounting hooks that way - if I wanted to be able to drive over an obstacle, grab it, and pull it backwards, that's how I'd mount them. But I don't want to drive over an obstacle, find I can't make it, and then back up & find I'm attached to it. If I didn't have my bumper, I'd have put shackle brackets on the bottoms of the frame rails. They could be attached EXACTLY like that hook, but a shackle will pivot if you run over something and it can be easily removed when the wheeling is done. They're also MUCH more reliable than hooks...

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Re: Hooks

it depends.
on the 87-91 bumper, it hangs so low that the hook barely hangs below the bottom of it, so if you get it caught on something, then the bumper probably got caught, too

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Re: Hooks

Steve has a good point. Broncos start with no hooks from factory (what was ford thinking), easy way to maintain stock bumper and put a secure recovery point up front is a notch in the stock bumper/hook to the frame. Next up for me though will be more hacksaw work on the front bumper, on the sides for the tires. I'm thinking mounting the hook sideways on the verticle part of the frame, or looking a bit closer at a shackle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts