Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to know what kind of winch to get for my 4 door jeep. I need one that is reliable and cheap. I have looked at tuff stuff winches at 12500lbs but dont know if they are reliable or not. Help?

· Registered
421 Posts
Never heard of them before, but from what I was able to Google, folks are generally happy with them. One thing you need to ask yourself is, "If I get myself stuck, is it worth risking my recovery gear failing?" If you always wheel with others (good idea anyway), and there is always somebody else with a winch, then go for it!
Where are you able to find them? I've only found on Amazon and some company called Onyx Sales & Marketing. Never heard of Onyx either. The price is sure tempting though at $299 or $499 for a complete recovery kit. Don't forget to take into account shipping.

· Registered
39 Posts
A good 6000 or 8000lb will be more than enough for 99% of your winching needs. If you need more, than use a snatch block which will double your pulling power.The smaller winches are quite a bit less expensive and are easier to deal with on a reciever mount(use the mount to pull from the front or rear).They also use less power.For short pulls your stock battery and alternator are fine, if you think you are going for longer pulls, then a dual battery set up is the way to go. Be sure to get a snatch block and strap so you can winch from a tree without taking all the bark off and killing it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.