Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my '95 XL flexing. Just put in a 6" procomp stage 2 in front and superlift springs in rear! Just making sure it works:) I'll try to get the rest of my pics scanned and posted on Superford this weekend.

Blubronc

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
looks nice! do you still have the rear swaybar attached? it seems like the rear should be flexed out more than that. might be that your shocks are too short, i had to take my rancho 5000s back to the local 4x4 shop and get longer ones because their book references some really short ones for our lifted trucks... i looked though his book til i found some nice long ones that work really well. the swaybar is most likely the culprit though if you have it on.

Attachments

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, there isn't one in back. The front one is still attached. I didn't know it came with one in back??? When I bought it, there wasn't a sway bar one in back.
blubronc

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
it should, put i think his shackles may be froze up.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you mean they have rusted and are stuck in one position???I put the lift on one week before this and nothing on the truck was rusted!!! All the bolts came out easy and I didn't even soak them before I started taking it apart. In this picture 'Dixie' almost tipped on her side. Would that mean that more of the weight is on the outside of the passenger side rear wheel rather than on the bottom of the wheel which would then cause the driver side rear not to flex down as much???

blubronc

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks as stiff as an IRS Exploder, but maybe it's just the way the weight is being shifted the passenger side....?

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
It may not have had one in back. You may not have had the tow package. Do you have dual shocks up front?

Looks good. But stiff. The lift is new too, so it should settle some. The front swaybar is probably not allowing the drivers side tire to stuff as much as it could. I would definitely look at your shocks on the rear. I am thinking they are not allowing the suspension to travel down far enough. In this pic it would be the driver side. Is the lift for the rear new springs or what?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The superlift springs are new, put them a couple weeks ago. How long should my shocks be??? I ordered them, procomp ES 3000, with the kit. If anyone knows what part number should got with a 6" lift or how long the shock should extend to, I would appreciate it. I will call 4 wheel.
Thanks
blubronc

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
I would not rely on these stores. Go under there and measure for yourself. Look at the shock and measure how much of the rod is out of the shock. now unbolt the rod end of the shock and pull it out the whole distance. How much is that? This is important because, say your first measurement is 6", and your second measurement is 8". Well, that would mean you shock will max out after 2" of movement down. Now, remember, the shocks are mounted at roughly a 30 degree angle, so the movement is not 1:1. We can get into that more later. For now, get some numbers.

OK, now measure how much distance of upward travel your axle has until it reaches the bumpstop. again, what we want to see here is if your shock is matching what your suspension is capable of. Not that your springs (especially with a lot of arch) could actually stuff that much, but I'm just trying to get an idea of what you have to work with here.

By the way, if you do need to make a shock change, see if you can get them to take those es3000's in exchange for the proper Rancho 9000's (if ya got the extra $$). Well worth the upgrade. Post your findings on the measurements and we can go from there.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sweet I'll do that in the morning. I don't know if I will be able to upgrade to the Rancho 9000's because I'm dropping Dixie off Monday to get 4.56 front and rear. If the shocks aren't long enough then I will try to get different ones from 4 wheel or just get a refund. My friend lives right down the street from a Bronco guy that goes to Moab every year and has several sets of shocks that he no longer uses:) I'm sure I could get a set of shocks long enough from him if he is into that ROWDY rock crawling!!! Thanks for the help Juice, I appreciate it.

blubronc

·
Registered
723 Posts
here's a pic of my 80 flexing could have gotten more but my son said stop everything kept sliding to him should have got a pic of me standing by the dorr it was chest high at the bottom (i'm 6'0)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was able to measure the lengths today... When at rest, 4.5" of the shock rod is out of the shock. The shock rods can fully extend to 10.5" meaning it can extend an extra 6" The upward travel my axle can go is 7.75" before it hits the stop. Are these the right shocks???
thanks for the help

blubronc

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Your're actually set up OK. Your upward travel might be off a bit. It's all give and take. If you could make the upward travel say 5" then the downward travel would have to be 5.5", so you are close. Point here is it looks like this is not holding up your suspension travel. Also keep in mind that if you really pushed the rear suspension, say in a jump landing, your upward shock travel would end before you hit your bump stop. That is why some people put on the bumpstop extensions.

How does your truck ride? Is the suspension real firm?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks that's a relief! Actually the new suspension is much better riding than the stock set up. I am really happy with it. thanks for the help

blubronc

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Well, don't forget most of us feel that your susp. travel could be improved, just a matter of figuring out what may be limiting you. That is hard to do not actually being there to see your rig flexing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts