Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 91 YJ, rebuilt 4.0L for $800. There are a bunch of annoying problems I've found and can't find answers to.

Where do I get the door switches to turn on the interior lights, they're broken? Where do I get the gauge light dimmer switch, doesn't work. How do I shut off the maint. required light? The soft top (half metal doors) I think is a bestop and there are no top cross braces that go between the front and rear bows. Can I get new ones of these or do I need a new frame? There's actually half of one on one side left. The top of the soft top between the windshield and the front bow is sagging about a foot. Is there a way to tighten this up or do I need a new top?

I guess that's about it for now. I'm sure I'll find more problems tomorrow when it's light out and I get more of a chance to mess with it.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Look at Quadratec, they are real good but have a 5day shipping time. Also check the back of a JP mag, They have a listing of places that sell used parts. Finally check with other jeep owners, We tend to have large amounts of leftover or removed parts taking up space.
Also if you havent been told yet...
Jeep = Just Empty Every Pocket; then get a loan!
Happy Jeeping

·
Registered
391 Posts
the sagging in the roof is probably because the middle bars are missing. they have a height adjustment that takes up the slack in the top. If the top isnt ripped then its probably fine. the door pin switches you can get at chrysler dealer for about 5 bucks a pop. go to quadratec and look around too good sales there sometimes. good luck.

·
Registered
786 Posts
It sounds like you have this top Bestop Installation . If so it sounds like you are missing the spreader bars. You could either get these from the dealer (guessing) or get replacements from someplace like 4 Wheel Drive Hardware. If you have a total Bestop replacement top, including hardware, then you probably have this top Bestop Replacement Top. Hopefully these guides will help you figure out what is missing.

G

·
I would go with Kragie for most of the parts.....
The light switch you can get at the auto supply....it's real common for the dimmer to go out.....

One little suggestion...NAPA....you might pay a couple of extra bucks but the quality is much better.....

And welcome....

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
One little suggestion...NAPA....you might pay a couple of extra bucks but the quality is much better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Call the "cheaper" stores, get the price, go to NAPA. they always price match when I have a better price somewhere else. Sometimes they'll call to confirm, but most of the time they take your word for it.

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
And NAPA has two good discount programs:
  • Triple A
  • AARP
  • And ones you don't know about but ask for anyway.
As example, they may give discounts to school districts, all the area major employer's employees, credit union holders, etc.. I always ask for a discount and get one!

IMHO, you rarely go wrong with NAPA, and their warranty is nation wide.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found new door switches, spreader bars, got a used dimmer, and I fixed the maint. required light by pulling the lightbulb out!!

This is my third jeep, I know how much money it takes! I bought this jeep mainly for the tub and frame but it still runs so I'm going to have fun with it this summer before swapping in my big stuff.

One last question, does anyone know how to adapt a yj speedo cable to a dana 300?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so I got the dash light dimmer switch replaced, found out that when you turn it all the way up the interior lights come on! I replaced the hood latches because they really sucked. I put in a new radio because the old one was screwy and got louder on it's own while driving. I got some wet okole seat covers because the old seats were ripped and not waterproof!! I installed my red lights and siren (firefighter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ). Today was a busy day! Overall things are coming together!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts