Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased an 84 CJ-7 for 1250. This jeep needs a little TLC but I think it was a bargain. It has a few holes in the tub in the rear, I was thinking fiberglass for that, but the other question I had, was that I want to put in a 4" lift with 33's, now I am not the most mechanically inclined but I want to do it myself. what is the most complete kit out there? Which kit is the least expensive? With 4" of lift will I have to worry about driveshaft angles and what else might i have to think about?

Also the jeep tends to keep running for a bit after I turn it off, and I thought that could just be the timing, since I think that is off. Also I think the carb might be in a bit of trouble..what is the best way to go here without empting my pockets...if a professional rebuilds it would that be alright?

Any ideas, tips etc would be appreciated..thanks alot

_________
|rent

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
most lift kits are complete.. just make sure you get one with shocks.. and a dropped pitman arm.. may even need brake lines.. but you can just bend the old ones.. your drive shafts should still work.. havent known of any that didnt.
and for price... just call around to the different shops.. out of a 4 wheel mag.. and keep telling them what the other guy quoted.. and see who will get the lowest..
yes it could be timing.. and could be the carb... dont know what it should cost.. i bought the kit.. and did it myself.. like 30 bucks for the kit.. and a dday to do it.. since it was my first one..
one hint.. make sure you put the metal ball back in... i didnt and it did just what yours is.. so i had to do it again..

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

G

·
Your Jeep running after it shuts off is called "dieseling". IT's a timing problem. Welcome to Jeep'n! First things first. Go buy a Haynes Repair Manual. RIGHT NOW! First thing.. go get it. You'll use it for the rest of your ownership of that Jeep. It will tell you how to get your timing right and get that dieseling corrected. Also, I would suggest the book "Jeep Owners Bible" it has lots of information about all aspects of Jeep'n, including information on your planned lift..

Carl, Tampa, FL, 74 CJ-5
If a Jeep can't take you there, Think twice about going..

G

·
SECOND thing...go get a big bank loan and several credit card applications. RIGHT NOW! Start obsessing immediately. Lose interest in work, friends, family. Immediatley max out all the new credit cards...don't worry about paying the bills...deal with that later. Spend all cash on your jeep on upgrades, improvements, modifications, etc. until you have no money for food...you stopped eating anyway -it interferred with jeep time. However, be very careful not to use up your beer money (oh no, I hope that doesn't start that thread again). Have fun.

Superlift super ride kit is a good cheap 4" lift. About $400 delivered from Natl Tire and Wheel, includes shocks. Dropped pitman arm is $50 extra. Replace stock shackles with ones from 4WD Hardware. Drive line angles shouldn't be a problem although you may want to make a 1" trans. case lowering kit.

BTW, $1250 jeep sounds like my kinda ride...good catch.
Shain

G

·
ok stud!
tell us what engine and trans you have in your bio!
if you have the carter bbd carb this site will be very valuable:
www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/258bbd/Major.htm
if someone could make this clickable for the stud would be cool!
don't go to a mechanic as you said you want to do yourself.
this forum of expert jeepers will get you through anything!
they have helped me a lot.
good luck and welcome aboard!
steve

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
on an added note, most folks just get a 2.5 inch lift, and either a 1" body lift, or fender trimming to fit 33 inch tires with no probs..

just make absolute sure you never drink any beer in or around the new JEEP

NEVER

OzarkJeep
77 CJ5, in a bunch of pieces right now

G

·
I'm absolutely loving that guide to the carter bbd carb!!! I finally found out what that darn knock sensor does, and why I paid the dealer $80 for a new one. I noticed the wire was yanked out of it, figured it must do something, and went and ordered a new one. Still feel like a sucker 'cause the Jeep doesn't run any different, but at least I know what I spent $80 for...

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
As for books, I've got the Chilton's Manual, and its much like the Haynes (Haynesa re easier to find though) and the "Jeep 4x4:performance Handbook" by Jim Allen, which I have found to be much more informative than the Jeep Bible. Rusty's Off-Road seems to have some well thought out, very complete suspensions systemes at a good price for any make of Jeep. If your going to play with the ignition, do a Ford TFI conversion, search this forum for the "258 ignition upgrade" done by Team Rush a while back, and get new plugs and wires while your at it. If you decide to swap your carb, I've gone with a Weber 38 and am pleased with its performace, but find myself wishing I had a Motorcraft 2100 (just for that extr 50 cubic feet of air ability.) As for your engine dieseling, it happens. My Jeep does it to every once in a while. The engine is actually turning over backwards! Don't believe me? Get it to diesel and put it in first gear and let the clutch out, the Jeep will lurch backwards and stall. Next time put it in reverse and the Jeep will lurch forwards and stall. If your friends ask why the Jeep keeps running with the ignition turned off, tell them its just a die-hard Jeep's way of begging for more abuse. /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

My Jeep is just a leaky submarine in disquise

G

·
I agree, 2.5" lift is fine unless you need extreme articulation. And then, a body lift and/or trimming will do. And this will really eliminate any potential driveline angle problems. Second, leave the holes in the floor. They're handy to allow mud & water to drain back out after you submerge your Jeep./wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

TEX

/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

G

·
hey Shain, I'm new to the jeep world also, just boutght it 2 months ago, but since that time I have done everything you said. Maxed new credit cards, Dont hang out with friends and I have lost almost 15 pounds, havent been to the gym since I got this thing. I guess I must be doing this thing right then, huh?

Jeep stud, rebuild the carb your self if you are worried. It is fairly simple as far as carbs go. One thing though, get a decent kit. I got one for 12 bucks at autozone and the gaskets leaked the first time I started it up. Instead of getting a better kit, I used the old gaskets in addition to the new ones. Probably not the smartest thing to do.
Also, I highly reccommend the ignition upgrade from "Team Rush" You prob. need to change the cap and rotor and wires anyway, might as well up grade at the same time. I went the cheap route and found some new looking parts in a junk yard and did all of it for under 20 bucks. Works great.

Good luck, but don't even think that you won't JEEP (Just Empty Every Pocket)

Later
Bill

G

·
Don't worry about the rust in the body - any effort you put into the body is a waste of time if you intend to hang out on this board and go off-road. I completely restored my body 4 years ago and this included filler, nitro-stain, decent paint job, etc. The paint fish-eyed when we sprayed it and I freaked - I was like inconsolable but I decided to live with it.

2 weeks later I did a half-roll onto a tree and mangled it all up...

It's been 4 years now. Last night I was doing some body-work on the rear corners after my last trip - with a Sledge-Hammer... :)

Chuck Hadley

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.