Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif I took a peek at a new Ford 3/4 ton FWD pickup that a buddy just bought, and noticed the front axle has a high pinion(higher than the midpoint of the piggy). It's one heck of a big axle, but what popped into my mind was: "How do they OIL this thing?" The ring gear HAS to roll in the forward direction, so it flips the oil forward; the pinion is so high that it can't be immersed (or CAN it?), so at very low speed, what's doing the oiling? I recall when I was a kid hearing the truckers talk about worm gear differentials(where the worm was right on top....a TRUE twin-SCREW)and how when the went uphill at incredibly slow speed the worm burned out real easy from no lube oil. Anybody have a clue as to how they did the oil thing in a high pinion?/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless I've made 'em up myself.

G

·
its not to hard. they just add a pocket to trap a little oil to pool around the bearings. the half ton version of this is the ring and pinion that currie is using for their high pinion nine inch diff. they just developed a hogs head that uses the r&p(it is actually an 8.8in ring) to fit a nine inch banjo. the only thing that i have seen is that you want to use a high quality oil and change it a little more often.

dan

/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.giflet it snow/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
The other thing they do is install the fill plug higher in the diff cover to raise the oil capacity and level
up. They do this with the old style highpinion 44's and 60's also. Seems to work effectively. Haven't
had any problems with the ones I've built as long as the level is kept up and use a good quality of gear lube.
Nickmil.

·
Official Historian
8,340 Posts
don't the yj dana 30's have a high pinion as well? no one worries about their oil supply.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/Herculiner

G

·
yes they are high pinion, and use the same design as the above desribed units.

dan

/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.giflet it snow/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.