Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like I have the same problem as Kaiserkris...bought a 68 Jeepster last yr w/ orig. Buick engine. Finally had it worked on last week--I'd never driven it. Bad Bad shape. Compression check was terrible. What engine, what year, make, etc. will fit in to replace this one? I would appreciate all info. (I just want something reliable that will take me to around town and an occasional nearby fishing trip--I don't go out fourwheeling--sorry if I offend you all with that statement!) Brenda

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
A popular engine swap is a Buick 231 ci up to early 1977. It's a direct bolt in. Some even go with the Buick 350 ci, but that takes some engine ompartment mods (but other than that, it's bolt in;o)

Bobster
o O||||O o
71 Jeepster "Soft Top" Wagon (mangled)
71 "Partster" wagon (donor)
70 Jeepster Half Cab
01 Wrangler
56 F-100 Street Rod

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bobster! I read all this stuff about modifications and it scares me! I'm after whatever will be simple. Actually, I've been really lucky for not knowing any history of my vehicle. The transmission seems great and had been rebuilt last year. An old grandpa mechanic who "just wanted to tinker" put brake lines in for me last week; rigged up a temporary hose (gas filler hose was shot); messed with the carburetor, etc. The tires are really good. I just can't wait to drive it. Someday I will post my website.(I thought KS was the armpit of the jeepster world! I have never seen one here!)

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
And you can go with a later model 231 with a few mods, like wiring up the HEI and altenator. I put an 81 231 out of a Camaro (also uses Buick 231's) in my first Jeepster. Motor mounts and exaust bolted up exactly. I even took the manifold and carb off the 225 and put it on the 231.

Tom
69 Jeepster
89 Suburban 4wd
00 Expedition 4wd

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I appreciate everyone's help. I am writing all this down so I can have some friends search for an engine! It all takes time, doesn't it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts