Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this question has been asked a 1000 times, but I can't find the info I was looking for in the search. So here's the question. It's time to replace the tub on my 85 CJ 7, I want steel, who sells "the best" steel tubs?

It's not a show Jeep, It's a go Jeep

·
Registered
523 Posts
If you are not dead set on steel, I would call JPOffroad and buy an aluminum body.. It will never rust and it is 3x thicker than the steel bodies. For about $2500, not much more than steel.
Just a thought...

76 CJ7, 258,Jeep T18, D20 TC, D30 & AMC20.
4" Superlift, 33" SSR's

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
try http://www.willysoverland.com/.
I looked into the aluminum but it has its own problems with having to isolate different metals.
I ended up going with a aj's fiberglass mainly because my choices were limited with a scrambler,the price for tub,cab divider(cj-8),front end,and tailgate (all finished in color)was about the same as the aluminum tub alone.
I also looked into the one from collins bro,but was told that the quality was not quite as good as the original.

JF1

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
The reason the alum tub is 3X thicker is because alum is not as strong as steel. I would hate to watch my 33's eat at an alum. body. The steel just flexs the alum would bend. Plus every bolt and nut you use would have to be stainless and then you still have disimaler (spell check) metal corrosion.

Can someone please bring me a hammer my 33's just ate my fender again. Damn i need more lift.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Do a search on wrangler tub swap. I think that is about the cheapest way to do it. I think only one body mount has to be changed.

Can someone please bring me a hammer my 33's just ate my fender again. Damn i need more lift.

·
Official Historian
8,339 Posts
Steel is 2.9 times stronger than aluminum. You could also use galvanized fasteners. (I work for an architectural aluminum manufacturer so I deal with that everyday.)

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D/MSD/4.10s/lockrights

1 - 6 of 6 Posts