Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks
I just received my new rear bumper from Bulletproof. It looks great and I like the idea of their bulletproof warranty. My question: Does anyone have thoughts about modifying the way it is mounted?--specifically I showed the bumper to my welding buddies and they suggested welding a channel to the rear cross-member and cutting or drilling the bolt holes for the bumper so I wouldn't have to drop the gas tank to get to the bolts. Once it is on I wouldn't think there would be much reason to worry about taking it back off but they like the idea just for ease of mounting it. We would have to torch off the bolts that hold the stock bumperettes since they are rusted on pretty well.
Also thought of using a a closed rail welded on with holes for access to the mounting bolts and put a cap on the end or ends. Might be a cool place to store pry bars, BFS or other long pokey things that don't fit well into tub storage. We are just thinking about these ideas at this point. Any ideas or input would be appreciated./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

Brit
85 CJ7

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: New Bumper Questions

I know what you mean, my welding buddies are always trying to find new ways to add to the usefulness of any project. I kinda liked the idea myself. Also it seems every time I start to take something off that has been bolted on for 15 years, I either don't use enough liquid wrench or am not patient enough or the bolts have just been there long enough to get really rusted on. Sometimes that is enough to get creative juices flowing but it does't really get those rusty bolts loosened!/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Thanks for the response.

Brit
85 CJ7

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: New Bumper Questions

Hey Newc: thanks for the pep talk. You're right on it. Sometimes our busy lives keep us from seeing the big picture. The channel idea might be cool if the rest is beefed up. Good post and Thanks again! /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

Brit
85 CJ7

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.