Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks
I just received my new rear bumper from Bulletproof. It looks great and I like the idea of their bulletproof warranty. My question: Does anyone have thoughts about modifying the way it is mounted?--specifically I showed the bumper to my welding buddies and they suggested welding a channel to the rear cross-member and cutting or drilling the bolt holes for the bumper so I wouldn't have to drop the gas tank to get to the bolts. Once it is on I wouldn't think there would be much reason to worry about taking it back off but they like the idea just for ease of mounting it. We would have to torch off the bolts that hold the stock bumperettes since they are rusted on pretty well.
Also thought of using a a closed rail welded on with holes for access to the mounting bolts and put a cap on the end or ends. Might be a cool place to store pry bars, BFS or other long pokey things that don't fit well into tub storage. We are just thinking about these ideas at this point. Any ideas or input would be appreciated./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

Brit
85 CJ7

G

·
Re: New Bumper Questions

If you are wanting to add verstility to your Jeep, I say go for it. If you are trying to avoid dropping the tank I would say you're creating more work than it takes to drop the tank. I was able to just remove the bolts holding it in and slide it around enough to have access to the bolts. There wasn't a need to completely drop it though I did siphon most of the gas out.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I know what you mean, my welding buddies are always trying to find new ways to add to the usefulness of any project. I kinda liked the idea myself. Also it seems every time I start to take something off that has been bolted on for 15 years, I either don't use enough liquid wrench or am not patient enough or the bolts have just been there long enough to get really rusted on. Sometimes that is enough to get creative juices flowing but it does't really get those rusty bolts loosened!/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Thanks for the response.

Brit
85 CJ7

G

·

Brit-
Sometimes there is a time to listen to your buddies and sometimes not. I would suggest that maybe this is a time to not. There are a couple of reasons. First: you said the bolts for the bumperettes are rusted. The fact is that the nuts on the inside are probably also equally rusted and you may as well face it, the rear crossmember is also. What this means is that the brand new shiny and unbelievable tough super bumper (Bulletproof!)(what a concept!) will bolt to a 14 Guage rusted crossmember. The new bumper will not give in pulling or pushing. It will make the crossmember give, though. You know, chain and weakest link? Second reason: not dropping the tank keeps you from evaluating and fixing what needs to be done. For instance this is a good time to replace the rubber fuel lines at the tank. (You know they need it!) The cost for this is not too bad either. And this is NOT trail fun. I suggest this: drive it till the tank is nearly empty and keep it that way till the appointed day and hour. The job is really not that tough. I can have mine out in less than 20 minutes without power tools or jack...less time if I use them. Next suggestion is to get a piece of 1/8" or 3/16" steel plate nearly as long (less 2" or so)as the crossmember between the rails and about 3" wide. Have this ready along with a new set of bolts and nuts and lock washers and most importantly - a can of antisieze compound. After removal of the tank, clamp the plate to the frame on the inside and match drill it to the existing holes in the frame. You can even drill new ones and matchdrill the bumper to the same pattern. The idea here is to make it strong, solid and all components working together to share the load instead of one unit doing the work (the bumper) and the other part being overloaded and failing. Anyway, drill to match and when you put it back together, use antisieze compound on all fasteners and if you really want to do it right, then also coat all concealed surfaces of the steel plate and crossmember and bumper with axle grease before you put them back together. This will be messy for sure but it will not get moisture in there and corrode and you can take it back apart easily next time you have to go up under there. I have, do and will do this religiously and I promise you that it will make your Jeep love you more and you will love your Jeep more because it is easier to fix.
Keep us all posted.
sln

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Hey Newc: thanks for the pep talk. You're right on it. Sometimes our busy lives keep us from seeing the big picture. The channel idea might be cool if the rest is beefed up. Good post and Thanks again! /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

Brit
85 CJ7

G

·
Another thing to think about is the weight of the tire carrier. I got their tire carrier, which holds my 33" BFG, 2 gas cans and my hi-lift jack. Even my solid cross-member is too thin to handle that kind of weight, so the entire thing is pulling away from my tail gate. To correct this, I am having Doug (at Bulletproof) throw together a new heavy duty cross-member/brace that I will have welded on. This should give the ass end of the jeep the strength I was looking for when I shelled out the dough.

As for dropping the tank, I certainly wouldn't want a torch that close to my tank anyway (I don't know about you but my tank is not sealed perfect), so you will likely have to drop it either way. Just some thoughts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.