Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I am 19 and have recently purchased my first 4x4. It's a 1980 Bronco with a 351C. It's pretty much stock except for the 33's, rims, and the stereo system I just installed. The previous owner didn't take too good of care of it, when I purchased the truck I had to wash the exterior with a very stiff brush since it had a film of mildew or something on it, and the interior had cigarette ashes and dust all over. Anyways, I'm fully new to the whole off-roading experience but have been a subscriber to Off Road magazine for 5 years so I know a small bit. I'm planning on a 6 inch lift and a set of 35 inch TSL/SX's. I'm also seriously thinking of an air locker for my Dana 44IFS up front, and my Ford 9" in the rear. I haven't taken it off road yet so I'm not quite sure what it's capable of. Any advice for a first time 4x4 owner and off-roader would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Your on the right track, Lock'em up. Welcome to the show!

Put tow points on front and rear also, carry tow rope and fire extinguisher.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Take it out and see how it does. You may rub a little with the 33's. Take it slow and I think you will be surprised how much it can tackle in stock form. I'd lock the back before I did the front but that's just my personal preference. Buy a Detroit for the rear. You won't regret it. NORM

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help guys. Well I just went out for a ride in a very wet field. Problem is I have a near brand new TSL on the left rear and the rest are Cooper Discovery Radial Lt's. All are 33 12.50's. The back rear is very very slick though, and the front two aren't much better. When I took it out earlier I engaged my front hubs, then put it in 4 high. I got out in the field and got on the throttle a bit and it felt like the only tire spinning out was the bald one and none of the others. Opon approaching the 35 degree incline that the road was on I lost momentum and was spinning just my back right tire (the bald one) even though my hubs were engaged and I was in 4 high. I then put it in reverse and went no where. So I put it in 4 low and backed out of the field. Could my bald tire be the cause of my troubles? Also whenever I engage 4low I have to yank it back quickly so I don't grind and then it has a clunk sound as it engages. Any advice on what my troubles could be?

G

·
Sounds as tho your t-case could be worn and not fully or properly engaging the front d/s in 4hi. Check it out on jackstands before you get stuck again LOL. Do a search on this board if you don't know what to look for.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
What you were experiencing was the effects of an open differintial. One tire starts to spin and the other one just sits there.

When you say that you engaged the hubs do you mean you got out and locked them or pulled back on the t-case lever inside?

As for 4lo you must not be moving to engage it.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well havack I got out and locked the hubs and I was in neutral and wasn't moving when I engaged 4low. And could one tire spinning alone affect the other 3 tires also? I'm thinking maybe nothing is really wrong with my t-case cause when engaged the front drive shaft does turn. But then again I'm no where near being an expert. What do you think about it?

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
With an open diff you will have only one of the two rear tires spin. For the front...if the driveshaft is turning then you will have one of the front tires spin unless the diff is broken, or the hubs are busted or not engaged. Lock in the hubs and try and turn the driveshaft by hand, truck off and t-case in 2WD. If it turns then look at the axles. Are they turning? If so you got hub problems. If the axles do not turn then you got diff problems.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, thanks havack, I'll check it out as soon as the weather clears up.

·
Registered
723 Posts
thatwas the problem i had on both my 80 bronco and my 82 f-150 on both the drivers hub crapped out and would not let it engage went with warns no problem since as for checking them i found a fun way to do it i put my bumper against a tree up on my hill put it in 4 lo and let her rip that way i can see which tires are pulling

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay havack, I engaged my front hubs and put the transfer case in two high as you said, then crawled underneath and tried to turn the drive shaft and it didn't turn at all. So that would mean my hubs are good, right? Then I disengaged the hubs and put it in four high and tried to see if my drive shaft would spin (to see if my transfer case wasn't engaging) and it still didn't spin. So apparently the hubs are good and the t-case is engaging. I guess I'm going to have to put the darn thing on Jack Stands to see what the deal is.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts