Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So..my wiring project is coming along nicely. Here is a little background concerning my question. I have a TH400, and a console shifter from a mid '70s Olds 442, and a Poncho Tilt column (that was for a console shifter, no lever).

The console was ment to be used with linkage up to the column to use the column mounted neutral start switch.
I ran out of room to make all that linkage
that, and that's just more junk to go wrong.

I want to add a neutral start and backup light switch on the console shifter, or even right on the trans, but I can't find any "universal" or hot rod type switches.
Does anyone have any ideas?
I was thinking about trying to adapt a switch inside the console, but I can't find anything like that in my local P-A-P yard.
Thom

·
Registered
420 Posts
Apparently, some K series checvy vans had T400s with transmission mounted switches, at least that's what some literature I found stated. I was not able to find any junk yard examples and my source (a Haynes K series book) did not list the years, so I can not verify it and frankly I always have to take what Haynes says with a big grain of salt. I eventually found that AMC used the same switch as in a Jeepster console and dropped the search, but that doesn't appear to fit your custom requirement.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks gaelic,
In reply to:

Apparently, some K series checvy vans had T400s with transmission mounted switches

[/ QUOTE ]
I'll look at some vans next, I didn't last time.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
If you're interested in a NOS Jeepster replacement switch, check out ad # 8187 on the classified board.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
You might try B&M racing or Hurst. Their aftermarket shifters have small momentary switches attached to the shifter housings to act as the neutral safety switch. They may sell these seperately and you could adapt it,possibly.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And here is the finished product.
A generic $12 neutral safety switch mounted on the colsole shifter

I also had a chance to work on my lathe skills. I made a dish to lock on the shifter and the switch toggle

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.