Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help in deciding just what I want to do to my jeep. I plan on this project lasting about 2 to 3 years and I want to drive it during this work. I have a stock 1980 CJ-7 258 Auto. When I get done with my project I want it to be a daily driver and still be very capable off road. In short I want to be able to drive it to the trails and still drive it home. I here alot of talk about Lockers Detroit,ABR,Lockright that thay are a must Front and Rear for off road But are to good on the street. I hope some one can explain the difference. The other concern is Lift and Tire size I don't want to go so tall that it is hard to get in and out off, with Gaint tires. But I would like Bigger and Wider tires. Thanks for all your help David.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've heard that lockers are good for the trail, but on the road they can cause you to spin (do a donut) pretty quick if driving in poor conditions, when locking the brakes. (As a greenhorn like me is pron to do)

I have 33x12.5 inch tires and a small (and dying) suspension lift on my jeep (and I'm short) so I kind of have to kick my leg up to get in. But if you put sidebars under the door, that should eliminate having to "jump" in. And you'll still be able to have clearance. Correct me if I'm wrong...

jason thomas france

www.jasonthomasfrance.com/jeepin

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Sounds like you want your Jeep to do the same thing as mine. Ive decided on a 2"-2.5" lift, Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks, and 32"x 11.50 BFG Mud Terrains on my '83 CJ-7. I'll put an ez-locker in front (you can unlock the hubs to keep it tame on the street) and probably a limited slip in the rear with one piece axles. This should be good enough for the trails (I don't do any rock crawling or anything extreme) and yet still be decent enough as a daily driver. I'm also retaining the original 258 and TF 999 trans. This should work until I can afford a new truck for a daily driver...then the Jeep is going to be a more dedicated trail vehicle, although it will still be street legal. Just my opinion, good luck on deciding.

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo
1999 Dakota 4x4
/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gifo[[[[o

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey David,

In Reponse to your questions:

I want to drive it during this work.
***** I am also building up a CJ that i want to drive while the work is being done. This may be a bit tricky when you start getting into lockers and such (time consuming). What i am doing to alleviate this prob is buying another set of axles. I have come across a stock Dana30 front and a Stock AMC20 rear for $100 including ALL brake hardware and such from a guy that recently upgraded to Dana44's F&R. This way i am going to do all the lockers, gears, brake, one piece axles and such on these axles while i keep driving the CJ. Then once they are done, Whammo they drop right in.

still be very capable off road.
***** if you decide to keep the stock AMC20 in the rear it will be a good idea to swap in one piece axles. The 20 is notorious for snapping the weak 2 piece units that it comes with stock.

In short I want to be able to drive it to the trails and still drive it home
***** How far are the trails from home???

I here alot of talk about Lockers Detroit,ABR,Lockright that thay are a must Front and Rear for off road But are to good on the street
***** I assume you meant to say they they ARENT too good on the street?? If $$$ isnt a problem the ARB lockers are a good idea. ARB's can be turned on and off at any time. This is great when driving too and from a trail, this way the street driviing abilities arent altered at all. The big downside to these is they are expensive!!!!!!!

The other concern is Lift and Tire size
***** a 2" Susp lift, 1" body lift with 33"s would probably be sufficient for most off road driving. If you go more than 2" you will run into more problems, such as lift laws and getting a CV shaft and such.

Good Luck

This Is Just My .02

Kevin Speicher
New England 4x4 Club
http://146.189.121.83/
79 Jeep CJ-7

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.