Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K., the rules for this post are simple, I dont want alternatives, I want to know either this or that. I have the cash in hand, and it is ethier a Bombardier DS650, or a Yamaha Raptor, which one, and why?
Thanks a bunch guys.

-ben....
1948 Willys - Disassembled; ready for fixup
1987 Wrangler - 4-inch Procomp, Rancho Shocks, Arb Snorkel, Con-Ferr Rack.....more to come...

G

·
Get a Raptor for sure, its a way better machine. DS650 is way bigger and heavier and older, you definately dont want it. Stick with the Raptor.

leave the stickers on the bentley to show the price

G

·
If you want a trail rider, definately the Raptor. The DS has more HP but is heavy and wider than most utility quads. For the dunes and drag racing go with the DS because it is faster than the Raptor.

G

·
go with a Raptor all the way and dont look back. it will do everything from dunes (with a few mods) to trails and everything in between. reliablity has been an issue on the DS650 and parts for it are really expensive. in a short while, there will be tons of aftermarket stuff out there for the Raptor and that will help ya out in the long run. hope this helps.

Chris /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif
'93 Yamaha Banshee (Trinity Stage IV)
'00 Yamaha Blaster

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what kind of reliability problems is has DS650 been known for, and how much do you have to spend on the Raptor to make it "dune worthy"
Thanks

-ben....
1987 Wrangler - 4-inch Procomp, Rancho Shocks, Arb Snorkel, Con-Ferr Rack.....more to come...

G

·
The Bombardier is heavy. The suspension and width look to be an attribute.

The Raptor, is lighter, and has reverse. For dunes and desert, it would need(for me) wider a arms and axle. It is said that the power comes on sooner in the powerband and harder.

I say Raptor.

-cleartoy

Got sand?

G

·
i have read on several different sites about how there DS was unreliable...although i have no first hand experience with them though. but it did win the Baja so, who knows, it may not be. they are heavy and big though compared to other sport quads.

to make the raptor better in the dunes, i guess the usual mods are in order (pipe, airfilter and lid, jets, and gearing) and like cleartoy said width would probably help alot. hope this helps.

'00 Yamaha Blaster

G

·
Your right Chris

airbox mod
jets
pipe
widen
gears

WWWOOOWWW

the Raptor is a fun fun bike , I was just out racing around with one of the neibors , he was on a 90's CR125 I chewed him up

the Raptor has all the power I need when out riding the trails , it goes good in the sand (not as good as my Banshee)and it's climbed every hill I've pointed it at , the suspention is awsom , I've had mine 30 feet off the ground , landed very nicely , its like landing on a pillow, I've widend mine and it made more of a diferance with the Raptor than on the Banshee
GO BLUE DONT BE YELLOW

Ride hard, Lifes short

G

·
wait for the cannondale if you have the money for it, if not just get the raptor. Marc

88 Samurai, 16 V EFI motor, Dana 44's, 36" Swampers, ARB and Detroit
lockers, custom drop arms, GRS II, 5.38 r&p, Warn 8000, custom bumpers,
leather seats & lots more.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i've heard of the cannondale....i dont think so..

-ben....

G

·
why do you guys say jets are 'hop up' items?
it'd just be stupid not to have your rig not jetted right

You wear your silver chain but the cross won't stop the lies,you believe in nothing
Kenton Thomas,Portal

G

·
Some people just don't know how to change their jet.(me :( )

WARNING
The surgeon general has determined that motorcycle riding will cause: Swelling of the TESTICLES, shrinkage of the BRAIN, and severe trauma to the EGO.

G

·
i didnt really mean that they were hop up items...just that they were required if the airfilter and exhaust was changed. i agree it would be stupid not to have it jetted correctly, but many people out there arent jetted exactly correct. not saying that i am cause i am no expert...but you know what i mean.

'00 Yamaha Blaster

G

·
go with Raptor, the DS is wider and heavier, plus Yamaha has been building machines a bit longer then Bombardier has, four wheelers that is. Good Luck no matter what way you go!

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah, i think the raptor is the way to go, I went to MotorPro in oceanside, and they said that to finance the raptor, It was going to cost about 8 thousand dollars. They also said my monthly would be $200 a month, anyone know of a better place in San Diego/Riverside County? A place with a better deal?
Thanks a Lot.

-ben....

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Better place to shop?

Nobody knows of any other place to shop for a quad besides motorpro?? Some place with a good financing? Thanks..
oh, in San Diego county or Temecula/Murrieta? Thanks?

-ben....

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Re: Better place to shop?

sorry brotha...im in minnesota

AirBorn!!
The good Lord giveth and the Eco-Nazi's Taketh away!
United we stand..Divided we fall..LETS UNITE!

G

·
Buy the Raptor. I raced a couple of DS650's on Saturday at the dunes, and the Raptor won, on the beach and up the hills. The DS is more expensive,heavier,harder to find parts for,the parts are more expensive, and reliability is questionable. I personally witnessed a DS blow the carb right off the intake tube because it backfired, and it was brand new! Nice when your out in the middle of nowhere!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.