Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my steering box needs to be replaced and I was wondering what the best fix is for this, new used what brand or what, has anyone put a steering box from another vehicle, although i could not imagine needing to as the cj box seems to be ok.

· Registered
328 Posts
My PS Gearbox was leaking from around the inpput shaft. I bought a seal form AutoZone and took it apart. If I hadn't fooled with the inner workings I would have been fixed for $6. But, being curious, I fooled around with the innerds, and little ball bearings fell out all over the place, etc, etc.......

I got a rebuilt box at AutoZone for $199.00. Pretty easy to put on. I had to have a local shop pull the pitman arm off the old one. I also broke a couple of bolts taking the gearbox off.

Loose nut behind the wheel
Another right-wing conservative.....
Born and raised in Jeep-Town

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have two steering box one that is out that use to leak and have play in the shaft and felt like u were going to die when driving it on the road,
the other steering box has hard spots when turning?
any suggestions?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The best thing to do is to replace it with an a.g.r. progressive steering box. They are great for big tires and they use a closer ratio for much improved handling. I'v never heard any complaints from anyone who used them. They are a little more expensive though.

Al
My web page

· Registered
13,180 Posts
Ok, I admit it... there's one area of the CJ that I am incredibly ignorant about... everyting from the frame down... including the steering gear.

I've rebuilt both automatic transmissions and steering gears in the garage because I was forced to do so due too many kids, never enough money!. I much prefer to rebuild the automatic transmissions... they seem much more understandable to me. I really hate taking apart a steering gear, I never feel confident that they'll work when I put them back together. When the CJ's steering box starts to leak I'll be looking for a used steering box. I really don't want to rebuild another one. I've heard lots of talk that these are - straight off the shelf - Saginaw supplied GM steering Gears.

1. Is there any truth to this infomation?
2. What GM Vehicles are good as doner vehicles to supply this steering gear?

With a GM Heater Blower Motor, a GM HEI distributor and a Howell - GM Fuel Injection... I should just go out and get GM logo's and slap on the Jeep. If I ever put in a 305 or a 350 Engine, I may just do that!

Good Jeepin'

Larry

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.