Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am looking for some help for a buddy of mine. He is out fighting fires and is looking to have me to a nice little lift on his rig (1985 Cj-7). Im not current on what the best products to get for cjs, since I mess with jeepsters.
He is looking for just a mile lift to run 31 or 32" tires.
What kit out there do you recommend that has good springs and shocks? Or is there one brand of springs that are good and another brand shocks to run that would be overall better?
Thanks a ton for the help.

G

·
[ QUOTE ]
He is looking for just a mile lift to run 31 or 32" tires.

[/ QUOTE ]
A mile? That's kinda high for 32" tires....LOL

Just kidding....too easy to pass up.....

But a good question and one that will give you lots of different opinions.....
The problme with lifts is that cheap is cheap....unless your ready to spend at least a $1000 or more, just about any other spring is going to be stiff and hard on the kidneys.......

What you want depends a lot on what you/he intends to do with the jeep...if he just wants to run 32" tires and not do any serious off-roading, then don't waste money on springs...32" tires will fit with only minor rubbing if you go off road...

I personally think that any lift under 3" is not worth the money or time to do...over 3" and you start to get into issues of driveshafts and ride quality...if you want more than 3" you might as well do an SOA with stock Wrangler springs...or spend the bucks for good springs like National or Old Man EMU....thats assuming he likes his kidneys.....

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I agree. If he wants to run 31" or 32" tires he should save his money and just put the tires on. 31's won't rub at all and 32's will only rub when stuffed and turned tight. With the sway bar connected he probably won't rub with 32's. He could put a 1" body lift on for cheap if he has any rubbing.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. Yeah I hear what your saying, I think that his springs are just wore out and he doesnt want to get too involved into the project, plus the funds and time to get it done. I only have 2 weeks to get er done while he is out fighting fires. I think ill just go with new springs and some 9000s to dial it in. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
With the swaybar disconnected I rub 31-10.50 MTs. The lugs at the edge of the tread catch the front fender lip when they're stuffed and turned. The rears put a little shine on the inside of the fenderwells. Neither is worth worrying about, but I would suggest that 31's are the limit for wheeling without a lift.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
My parents have a 1.5" superlift, 1/2" greasable shackles and procrap es1000 shocks on their yj. It's a little squirly with the lift shackles and no sway bar/ track bar but it rides nice for a cheap lift. I'm guessing the cj lift would ride about equally.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I would find a nice BDS 2" lift. Replace the front shackle hangers while your under the Jeep. It will ride nice and off road well.

·
Registered
205 Posts
just throwing this out there--- what about a an add-a-leaf. you know to cure the old saggin springs. about $55 a pair

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
X2 on the BDS lift, that's what I have and I'm more than pleased with it

·
Registered
391 Posts
I got a rancho 2.5 inch lift on mine but I do recommend upgrading shocks from what they come with, rode like a skateboard with the 5000's but the rsx's are kind of nice, I clear 31's with room to spare.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
you want something soft.. skyjackers are nice.. bds are nice.. i would stay away from superlift.. rancho... pro comp.. they will be a little stiffer.. and not flex as much or ride as nice... i personally like skyjacker the best..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts