Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on making a RTI ramp this weekend for my club.I need to know the length of the ramp(23 degree), and how tall it is to get the degrees.

·
Official Historian
8,275 Posts
just choose a length that will accomodate the longest wheelbase you anticipate using on it and use trig to figure out the height at that distance. you already know the angle of the ramp to the ground. the length is up to you.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif Hey! Stop suggesting that he use math to solve the problem! If he can't do the math, his self-esteem will suffer, and then he might shoot up a grade skool. This is obviously a job for the government. In fact, I think they should step in and regulate the ramps, licensing and isuing OSHA guidelines./wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!!! An opportunity to put my newly learned math involving trig to practical use. To find the sine of an angle divide the side opposite the angle by the hypotenuse of the triangle. The hypotenuse is the longest side. This applies to 90 degree triangles only, BTW. OR you can get the sine for the angle by using your trusty TI calculator without having to measure anything.

The sine of your 23 degree angle is .3907

Now the neat thing. What can you do with this number? The portion of your ramp that you drive up is the hypotenuse of the triangle. At whatever point you want to put the tall side that holds up the ramp - the side opposite the 23 degree angle, measure from that point on your ramp, the hypotenuse back to the 23 degree angle. Lets say that measurement is 18 feet. Multiple 18 by the sine - .3907 and find that the ramp needs a 7.0326 foot tall side to hold it up or 7 feet and .3912 inches. A ten foot ramp - the tall side is 3.907 feet tall.

How 'bout that for useful MATH????

Doug '97 TJ
My Web Site

·
Registered
328 Posts
Darn you, Doug '97 TJ.........

I was feverishly searching the US-Gov.com website for information that might help him on this. I made a list of over 100 sites that might be able to at least give him an idea (for free, the US-Government pays for it, of course) where he could write for a publication or an application form.

You spoiled it by suggesting he could figure it out by himself.

Loose nut behind the wheel
Another right-wing conservative.....
Born and raised in Jeep-Town

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very sorry. But must make an admission at this point. After allowing the government to lead me around for about half a century AFTER they tried to teach me trig in high school, I finally figured it out for myself - the practical application, that is. And now, after having done that on my own, I have gotten almost giddy over the revelation that I can think for myself. But it has caused some problems. You are a case in point. Have now made an enemy of you. /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif
It is probably good that I am over 60 and therefore will not be as much of a henderance to society as I would have been had I learned to think decades ago.
Something good probably came out of your search though. Did you know that numbers existed that were larger than the total number of appendages on your body? OOPS, now you have learned something about thinking too. Hope it didn't catch you at too early an age.
Many smiling /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif guys.

Doug '97 TJ
My Web Site

·
Official Curmudgeon
5,207 Posts
Doug '97 TJ,

Since you understand this stuff, I was doing some power phase calculations and need the square root
of -1. Can you help me out here?

I am past 50 and I quit trusting my government when I found out that they had lied to me about that U2
over Russia getting off track on a weather mission.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Taz -

Don't know what the square root of negative one is, so I usually just stick a lower case i in it's place.

Works for me!

John

'80 CJ7
'84 CJ7
'76 Scout
NRA Life
Join the NRA!!

·
Registered
856 Posts
better watch out if the Government finds out we can think and learn they will have to cut back on skool <<<</wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.giffunding.so lets keep the FUN in funding/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
List of all imaginary numbers, isn't it???? This really does go way back in my memory, and it may be failing me, but seems like I do remember something about imaginary numbers and that you really could substitute them into equations some way or other and come up with some other kind or a weird result. Could be all wrong on this, however. Don't really have that good a memory of it and have no idea where I would look for answers.

Doug '97 TJ
My Web Site

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You mean Gary WASN'T on a weather mission????????????? Here I thought the Russians were the one's doing the lying all this time. You sure????? /wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif

Doug '97 TJ
My Web Site

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ElI the Ice Man???? Have no idea what you are talking about. A 50's wrestler? A mob hit man? The subject of a rock & roll song? Somebody they dug up who was preserved in a glacier for umpty million eons? A silent film star? Inventor of the cotton gin to his former girl friends? Line backer for the Packers? A Packer's fan? Bartender? Gimme a clue. I don't keep up with ice hockey or figure skating. A WWII airplane driver??

Doug '97 TJ
My Web Site

·
Official Curmudgeon
5,207 Posts
I thought it might spark the memory of where you ran across the imaginary number calculations.

ELI - voltage leads current in an inductor
ICE - current leads voltage in a capacitor
Not that you would guess that from the letters, E-voltage, I-current, L-inductor, at least C is capacitor.

If you get it right, you can steal power from the electric company. Big factories with a lot of big motors
throw off the watt hour meters which really irritates the electric company so they hit them with an extra
charge if they are not within a specific range. I work with automotive assembly line conveyors and they
use power factor correcting capacitors to get back within range.

I thought you might have run across it in radio if I have the correct meaning of SW and CB in your
profile.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, you really found me out. Of all the things I don't know, I don''t know the most about electricity and radio. The SW is short wave as you assumed, but it is a reciever for international broadcasts. Not ham or a transmitter of any kind. Just the kind of short wave for listening to world wide - mostly commercial type - radio. "Radio free whatever", preachers from hundredres of miles from the nearest gas station, all kinds of foreign languages, BBC, etc. Most countries have English speaking stations on short wave that can be picked up all over the world. Real neat to listen to what other countries news casters have to say about the U.S.

Doug '97 TJ
My Web Site

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In the generating side to over come voltage side of it we have to create VAR's. VAR's are a watt less
power that takes horse power to make and creates heat. At night we are run every thing to the wall
to lower voltage and in the day say summer to add air conditioning we hit the wall to raise voltage.
In the summer then your can work with hot transformers, hot units. hot bearings,warm cooling water
This just to keep it interesting./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
BTW. Talk on what vars are can go on for hours.
What I remember about my studys was the charge the electic Co. put on factories was for the cost of
the power to create VAR's. Like you said if you run unity power factor every bit of that horse power hits
the watt meter.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If your post was directed at me, you lost me about "In the generating side..." My expertise with radio - SW for example - is being able to tune in to commercial stations around the world and listening to them (SW reciever built into car radio. - Really a great radio, a Becker Mexico made in Germany. Just for the record, Becker makes a bunch of radios. They name some of their "speciality" radios after the locations of Gran Prix races. Hence the Becker Mexico. Has nothing to do with being made in Mexico. It's the - whatever the gran prix is in Mexico.)
Anyway, back to your post. I have no idea what you are talking about. SW - see above. CB - I can install one, and I can say (but don't anymore because of the joke about it) "10-4 Good Buddy", and I manufacture and sell the CBrack, a good way to install additional electronic equipment in Jeeps. CBracks, BTW, are mechanical - not electrical. I understand mechanical.

Doug '97 TJ
My Web Site

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry Doug. I was just comitting on what Taz was saying on power useage as on the generating side
of things.
I'm glad you did give some more information on your radio. I was wondering how it receved its mod.name.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.