Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I am currently in the process of selling my 97 Tj. I am going to be purchasing a 80 cj-5 all original with 40k original miles on it. It has the 258, T-176, d-300,etc. Anyways, im wanting to go with a 2 1/2" suspension lift. This Jeep is going to be my daily driver so I want to have the best on road ride as possible. (i know its a cj) What kind of lift, shock combo do you guys reccomend. The Jeep will also be used off-road 1 to 2 times a month. All suggestions will be of great help. TIA
Steve

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
well i would suggest.. a shackle reversal.. first.. and for the lift.. mm.. something soft.. my friend has a skyjacker. its soft.. i had a pro comp. that was soft.. i run nothing but rs 9000.. they are the best.. can adjust for any ride.. soft or hard.. i wouldnt go much higher than 2.5.. or just leave it stock and throw on 31's.. if you are going to drive it everyday.. once you start raising driving goes down.. has to do with the caster angle.. hope this helps alittle
jeepgod

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I see from your profile that you live ______ and you've been off-roading ____ years. My first response is that a CJ5 is probably the worst selection of jeeps for a daily driver, but to each his own. I know, It's a Jeep thing! However, superlift's superride suspension system is great. It includes shocks and all other parts needed, is relatively inexpensive, and easy to install. Good luck.
(the short wheelbase and small size of the 5 will be great on the trail, but you'll think otherwise on the street. -previous owner of DJ5, CJ5, CJ7, and currently, CJ8)

Keep on Jeepin'
Scott

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree with Scott. As a previous owner of a CJ5 and CJ7 and now a CJ8, the CJ5 is probably my lowest pick for the every day driver, but does well on the trail. I would opt for 31's instead of the lift if your primary use will be on the road and you are off the road mildly and occasionally.

Remember, any CJ is better than NO CJ.

(Keep your hopes up for a Mighty 8 in the future.)

O|||||O
/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif A conclusion is simply the place where you got tired of thinking. /wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.