Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I have done 3 spring overs on YJs and we have never had to cut the knuckles off of the front. My current SOA on my 89 uses Old Man Emu 2 1/2" springs and 1" longer shackles in the rear, and stock springs with an Add A Leaf and shackle reverse in the front. I have aslo modified both front and rear shock mounts to accomodate 33" shocks and moved the lower mounts from below the axles. The steering is a 4" drop pitman arm, extended trac bar and Z link, I plan to go to a knuckle over steering set up, but the jury is still out on whether or not I will stay with the modified Dana 30 Im currently using(busted another axle shaft this last sunday). The whole set up handles well on the HWY, and is fantastic in the rocks. It also scores 1000 on a 30 deg. ramp.
Jeff
89 Wrangler

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
The front drive shaft is so long on a Wrangler it barely notices it. I also have the T-Case lowered about 1 1/4". I tilted the pinion about 1 deg. upward when setting the spring perches, and the shackle reverse also pushes the front axle about 2" further forward. Both drive shafts need to be lengthened,but it really does work very well. I would love to post some photos on the site, but Im not sure how to do it. I have plenty of photos on Floppy. The shock set up is very trick and has been working great on a variety of terain but especialy well through large rock gardens.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Heres a picture from the front looking rearward. The Top cross member is 2x2 sq tubing and the brackets on the axle are a 3x3 cut in half, both 1/4". The cross member will probably cause an exhaust relocation. You will need to run stiffer shocks to make up for the leverage created by the angles. I am running R9000s in the rear and plan to install adjusters in the dash to take full advantage of the adjustable compression rates.
Jeff
89 Wrangler

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.