Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to give my Wrangler a little more off road ability without a lift for now. I don't really know anything about a spring over, so can someone fill me in on what they are exactly, what they can do for me, and how difficult is it to do. I have an 88 YJ with 30's right now. Also, how about the sway bar disconnects? Would they help out with my stock suspension?

Thanks
Bryan/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif
88 YJ Laredo 258 guzzler

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
spring over.. lets see.. grind off the spring pads.. weld them or new ones back on. rear is easy.. but the front you run into the problem of the caster angle. so you then have to grind off the knuckles.. put them on and aline them up at positive 6 degrees and weld them back on.. not to mention you will need atleast one drive shaft.. usually the rear. also will need new shocks.. brake lines.. and im not to sure about your steering if you would be able to just bolt it back up to the knuckles. or you might have to finagle something... its is alot of work.. but it is worth it in my opinion.. you will get great flex.. and if you go thru that much work.. might as well do just a tad bit more.. and do a shackle reversal.. and get some better driving out of the jeep. this will give you about 5 inches of lift.
something i would do.. get some rancho rs9000's .. and just take the sway bar and track bar or whatever else there is off.. and it will still handle fine.. and you can turn down the shocks to 1 and will be good off road.
have anymore questions.. check my website in a few weeks.. i am in the middle of all of this right now..

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I have done 3 spring overs on YJs and we have never had to cut the knuckles off of the front. My current SOA on my 89 uses Old Man Emu 2 1/2" springs and 1" longer shackles in the rear, and stock springs with an Add A Leaf and shackle reverse in the front. I have aslo modified both front and rear shock mounts to accomodate 33" shocks and moved the lower mounts from below the axles. The steering is a 4" drop pitman arm, extended trac bar and Z link, I plan to go to a knuckle over steering set up, but the jury is still out on whether or not I will stay with the modified Dana 30 Im currently using(busted another axle shaft this last sunday). The whole set up handles well on the HWY, and is fantastic in the rocks. It also scores 1000 on a 30 deg. ramp.
Jeff
89 Wrangler

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
so what angle is your driveshaft at? you havent broken u joints and it handles fine? mmm... i would say a lucky man..

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
The front drive shaft is so long on a Wrangler it barely notices it. I also have the T-Case lowered about 1 1/4". I tilted the pinion about 1 deg. upward when setting the spring perches, and the shackle reverse also pushes the front axle about 2" further forward. Both drive shafts need to be lengthened,but it really does work very well. I would love to post some photos on the site, but Im not sure how to do it. I have plenty of photos on Floppy. The shock set up is very trick and has been working great on a variety of terain but especialy well through large rock gardens.

G

·
I'm runnning the Rubicon Express SOA in my YJ. It rides good, Flexes like MAD, and wasn't all that tough to do. it took me 2 days to do.
The 1st day, I pulled the axles out, took them to a friends shop, and had the perches welded back on. brought the axles home, set them under the jeep, and called it a day.
Day 2 started with me bolting the rear axle up to the springs (piece of cake), then going to the front, bolting it up to the springs (just as easy). then i installed all the little stuff on the rear axle, (shocks, brake lines, e-brake cables, breather line), dropping the TC with the kit, and installing the rear drive shaft. (I had previously done a Slip Yoke Elim. and CV shaft) The the work on the front axle started back up. Drop Pitman arm, steering linkage, Damn, have to lengthen it too (took about a half hour to lengthen it), front brake lines, ohh, have to faba new location for them to mount up to (another 30 min) Shocks were a bolt on (even rode pretty nice) trak-Bar, (easy bolt on) sway bar, w/ disconnects (piece of cake), Vacume lines for 4wd disconect. these seem kinda short, lets fab some longer ones (2 hrs later, installed the stock ones) Breather for the front axle (No problems) and the front driveshaft. whew, what time is it... 2AM.. what time are we leaving to go wheel?? 7 AM.. Damn, i still have to pack. drove it about 300 miles the next day, no problems at all (did crawl around under it when we got there, and re torque everything real good, only had 2 loose bolts (trak Bar, and a shock mount)

Whew. I have broken a few rear U-Joints, but i broke them b4 i lifted it too.... something about a heavy right foot. Dont have any Vibrations, and Love the ride. Didn't have to rotate the knuckles either. Since then, i have put in a longer front drive shaft, gears, and lockers, looking to add some 44's or maybe a 60 to that list.

Any ?'s.. i'l be glad to help to the best of my ability

BJ

PS, any pics of that shock settup, i'm looking for a new idea, keep hitting these damn mounts

"If you chose not to decide, you still have made a Choice" RUSH

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Heres a picture from the front looking rearward. The Top cross member is 2x2 sq tubing and the brackets on the axle are a 3x3 cut in half, both 1/4". The cross member will probably cause an exhaust relocation. You will need to run stiffer shocks to make up for the leverage created by the angles. I am running R9000s in the rear and plan to install adjusters in the dash to take full advantage of the adjustable compression rates.
Jeff
89 Wrangler

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.