Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to know the different lengths of front D44 long side inner shafts for different vehicles such as Jeep Wagoneers, J10s and Scout vehicles. Does Dana (or anyone else) have a site with this sort of info? I ask b/c I have a 78 Chevy 44 front axle that I'd like to cut down to a size that would allow me to use a long side inner shaft from a stock vehicle to avoid the cost/trouble of a custom shaft. If anyone has inner long side shaft length dimensions on any of the above vehicles or if anyone knows where I might be able to find this out, I'd appreciate the information. Thanks,
Sean

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
well.. i dont have that info.. but i would suggest just cutting down the shaft and resplineing it.. shouldnt cost more than 80-100 bucks.. call moser and ask, you can mail it to them and they will do it. or find a good machine shop. its not alot of work, considering you are already cutting down the axle.. that is way more work and money.

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate your suggestion and Dutchman will shorten and respline my axleshaft for $70. The problem is that it is a custom shaft. I don't want to break one and not be able to easily come up with a spare. That is why I'd like a slightly shorter stock shaft and then I'd just shorten the housing accordingly to make the slightly shorter stock shaft work. Does that make sense? Thanks for the suggestion. Does anyone else have any input?
Sean

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sean, measuring from the center of the u-joint to the end of the axle the Scout and Waggoneer are 32.91, an F150 is 33.91. A J10 should be about the same as the Chevy.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks very much for the info. BTW, where did you get it? Is there a site or manual I can look this kind of stuff up in? I have a lot of friends who are getting ready to do swaps too. Thanks,
Sean

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Need info. on Dana axles.RVRJEEP

If you go to the fly-n-hi in Mesa they have a Spicer cataloog that has the differnt lengths you are after. I spent about two hours staring at it when I was getting ready to cut down the chevy axle for my beast. everything was a little bit off for my aplication but maybe you'll have better luck. And who is this Dutchman? I was going to have Yancer cut down mine but he's not the most reliable fellow. Got a #? By the way I believe 78 was a transition year better make sure you didn't get a 10 bolt by accident. I had Torrey at FST cut down my housing and he did a great job. Also try to talk to Jim if you go to Fly-n-hi he's the older guy, Bobby or Ces would probably be too lazy to wonder behind the counter and get the Spicer book for you. Best of luck
Travis

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Need info. on Dana axles.RVRJEEP

You can find Dutchman at http://www.dutchmanms.com

My axle's are currently enroute so I'll let you know how they did...

Florida Mud CJ-5
'77 RB304, t-150 D20 4" 35" swampers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Need info.AZJeeper

Thanks for the info Travis. I really appreciate it. The number for Dutchman is 1-503-253-6648. I definitely got a 44 front. What's FST and how much did they charge you to cut it down? Also, do you have the number for FST? Does FST use a sleeve after they cut the tubes and then weld to the sleeve and the tubes or do they just butt weld the tubes together? Thanks,
Sean

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Attn:RVRJEEP-please respond!!

I found out the length of the stock Chevy long side. What year F150 should I be looking for? The length you mentioned is the exact length I need. Thanks very much for your time,
Sean

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Sean,77 to 79 F150,78 to 79 Bronco. Currie cuts and re-splines axles for 90.00 per pair. Roger

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Roger, THANK YOU SO MUCH for the help! /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
I really appreciate it.
Take care,
Sean

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.