Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need Info On \'62 J-200 Pickup/ Donor

I stumbled on to a '62 Jeep J-200 Pickup today.
It's mine for the taking, but I need someone to help me with what the axles might be before I expend resources to retrieve and haul it.

1962 Jeep J-200 Pickup
230 CID 'Tornado' I-6 engine,
hydro clutch,
A piacular little vent hole and screen on the upper back side of the bell housing,
3 speed on the tree, and I can't tell you what transmission,
Looks like a Dana 18 transfer case, center rear output with a drum brake e-brake, and passenger side front output,
6 bolts on the lockouts
Five lug wheels front and rear.

Can anyone shed any light on these axles?
They are sunk in the dirt and greasy enough that I can't tell what they are without moving the truck, and if I move the truck, I have to load and haul it off...

SO...
I'm looking for axle info before I disturb what may very well be it's final resting place...
Did they use Dana 44's in '62? Or are these some bizarre Jeep/ Kaiser/ AMC axles I'll not have a use for?

Thanks in advance for the input!
Aaron.

So many cats, so few recipes...

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
Re: Need Info On \'62 J-200 Pickup/ Donor

/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif Maybe this is a question that will have to go over to the Jeep pickup board???/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif(if there IS one) 1962.....man that is a LONG ways back! I wuz justa year outa hi skool/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif and buildin' them double-rocker Chryslers like mad!/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

CJDave
A moonguy-operated Jeep Skunkworks in the "Heartland".

·
Registered
4,618 Posts

ok.. the first gladiator was 1963.. so if its one of those.. are a willys pickup?...
for a '63 J-200.. you are looking at..
engine: either a OHC 6cyl.. 230.. or OHV 6cyl 232...
tranny: a T-90A 3 speed was standard behind the OHC 6.. 63-65
T-14A 3 speed standard behind the I6.. 65-70
T-98 4 speed was optional in the truck from 64-67..
transfer case: Spicer 20 low gear 2.03
axles on the truck: D44F front & rear 4.09 standard optional gears of 4.27 & 4.89
it may have a larger rear axle... either the spicer 53 or a 60.. if it had the HD option package..

that front axle will be kinda crappy.. its the same closed knuckle p.o.s. i have in the backyard.. the shafts will be the same diameter as a d30... with only a larger axle joint (d44 size) and the outer splines will be like a 10 or some crap.. i ditched it.. and just used the gears from mine..

http://www.jeepgod.net

If you are allergic to lead, it is best to avoid a war zone

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

It's a Jeep Pickup, the door plate (build plate) said Kaiser, but the vehicle says Jeep J-200
The only coding I could decipher was a front marker light (all the other lenses are missing or replaced with aftermarket) was a '62 issue. Looks original.

Is there any way to decipher the year out of the serial number? (No VIN tag)

Large cast aluminum valve cover on an I-6 is marked '230 Tornado' .
Small externally regulated alternator, hydro clutch, fairly large front Diff housing, but it's half buried in dirt and so covered with gunk I couldn't even pry it off with my pocket knife...

Five lug wheels front and rear..

I don't know crap about Jeep trucks, but I want some good axles for the current project... and I think this might be them...
(OR not...?)

It was Three speed on the column. (3 on the Tree!)
The tranny is tiny, and the transfer case is marked 'Spicer'... (I mis spoke before if I said Dana)
It's a center output, with the brake drum e-brake on the back.

Anybody need a bell housing, and related stuff for a AMC/ Kaiser/ Jeep I-6?
How about a 230 CID Tornado I-6 engine core?
Transmission/ Transfer case?

HELP!

G

·

TR,
The transfer case is a model 20 with a parking brake. Many early model 20's had them from wagons and pickups. The front will be a closed knuckle 30 or 44. POS axle. May have some good 4.10 gears though, although the pinion will be coarse spline. The rear axle will be a two piece, tapered axle, small tube 44, 53, or possibly but unlikely a 60. Look on the end of the axle, if it has a nut on it it is tapered two piece. Again, the only real useful thing would be gears if a 44. If it's a 53 then it's kind of a bastard child with no parts availability except for used. The transmission is most likely a T-86 or T-89 as that was most common stock, but could be a T-90 as previously stated. Good luck. Nickmil.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts

i have tons of codes here.. give me the serial number off of it.. ill tell you what i have.. anything on the engine?
the serial number.. is the first two digits 23? 23 is for J-200.. the next two digits are for the body type.. 5th digit is the GVW... 6th is for the drive.. 7-11 digits are the sequential serial number..

http://www.jeepgod.net

If you are allergic to lead, it is best to avoid a war zone

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thanks guys, I'm learning!

Anyone else!?

G

·

About that 230 "Tornado" engine. The 230 is definitly an interesting engine historically speaking.

It was the first production line, overhead cam engine ever made. However, the phrase "ahead of it's time" comes to mind. When the 230 made it's debut most people, and definitly most mechanics, were just starting to get used to those "new fangled, overhead valve" engines. Going from flatheads to OHC was apparently too big a jump in too short a time for the general public and sales of 230 option vehicles was low. Kaiser/Jeep had plenty on hand when the government placed an order for the M-715 so the 230 was militarized and used in them.

The 230 puts out decent power for it's size, and it is a decent engine. It definitly falls into the oddball catagory though. Rebuilding one involves a herculean search to find parts and the trouble/expense really isn't worth it unless you are doing a "number matching" restoration. As far as the value of the core, do you own a boat? How much do anchors go for these days? I had one sitting in my garage for over a year and I couldn't give it away. Not being a boat owner, I sold it as scrap.

September 11, 2001- We will not forget! We will not forgive!

·
Registered
333 Posts

For $200.00 I would sell my 73 J4000 with a dana 60 rear and a 44 front 5 bolt axles with 4.10's rear diff is off set so you could cut down to fit a cj. It has a 360 and a 3 speed and a t-case with a e-brake. I live in wisconsin so I dont know how far you live from here but if you want it I could hold on to it. My truck is not stuck in the mud.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts

Id skip it for axles Aaron.

BUT those engines are getting pretty damn hard to find parts for, so there are alot of folks looking for certain oddball stuff.

try IFSJA.ORG

OzarkJeep

too small to be seen, and too big to control, and treated like a walking bomb...

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

MUDITUP4x4, I'm damn sure interested in that truck!!
Get with me at [email protected].
I'm going to leave wed. for about a week, but I'll get with you after that if I don't hear from you before then.

·
Registered
333 Posts

TeamRush Check your E-mail. we should be able to work out a good deal.

G

·

TR,
The 230 Tornado engine. /wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif
I owned one in a waggy many years ago. I could not keep timing belts in it for longer than 3 months. Everyone knew the cure to its trouble. Cost me a lot to learn what they didn't know and what a junk engine it was. /wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif
utahjeeper is kind saying it is an interesting engine historically. Having owned and lived with one I call it a POS, period. And being a 3 boat owner I still wouldn't trust the engine to act as a proper anchor. I hated that Jeep, all due to that engine. /wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif
It was the only vehicle I've owned that should have come with hiking boots as an option.
I wore out 3 Scouts before I could look at another Jeep.

I have no doubt with your abilities could make the engine work./wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif But, it would be masochistic to do so.
You'd get far better use from your money if you just burned it !
Just my personal experiences having owned one of Jeep's early historic engines!!!

PEACE !! /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
w

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

I have an AMC V-8 (360) here that the kid never paid for the part,...
We did the machine work and ordered the parts, he put it together, and then returned it because he couldn't pay for it.
I have his fresh transmission here to he never paid for (TH-400).

I'm torn between using those, or an 'exotic' engine of some sort...
The AMC/ TH-400 will drop right in, but a supercharged V-6 or alloy V-8 would be much more efficient.
I like the newer Cadillac alloy engines, and I like the new Mustang modular engine....
A factory supercharged engine like the GM V-6 would be cool too.
I just haven't made up my mind. I guess if I don't have an engine by the time I get ready to install power, I'll make a trip through the late model junk yards around here, and if I haven't found anything, I'll use the AMC power train.

I do want the Dana 60/44 combo for axles, and I've found two sets now. (never go racing without backups!)
I'm set up for an adjustable suspension, even though we are still hammering out the details....

I need a new frame and body. The factory frame is too narrow and weak, and mine is rusted to crap.
The body is rusted through in more places than I care to count, so I'm just going to replace it, or fabricate one from scratch...

I wonder if that truck frame can be modified to work?
The 3/4 ton trucks had HEAVY frames under them, and they are wider than the CJ frames...
There is a thought... (it was actually Jay Anger's idea...)

ANYWAY...
This is all good noise!
Anyone else know anything?

G

·

Hey TR,
I don't know what you're puttin' on that there frame but if'n it's a '7 or a Wrangler that there truck frame is ok beefy!
(a little tribute to the mighty Granville King, and of course CJDave).
Anyway, the biggest down side which shouldn't bother you is the length and the fact suspension stuff is almost nonexistent aftermarket for that year of truck. You might consider a Wagoneer or full size Cherokee. I've seen a Land Cruiser and several CJ-7's in our area with those frames. They are boxed, beefy, and have a lot of mounts integrated in them you might find desirable like factory V-8 mounts, longer shock mounts, etc.Plus they are a heck of a lot shorter than the truck but long enough for a longer wheel base. Just a thought. (even I have those occasionally). Nickmil.

·
Registered
7,958 Posts

TR,

I have the '63 Factory Service Manual here for that truck, let me know what you require and I'll try to help you out.

JEEPN
Waldoboro, Maine (yes, we're BACK!)
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Slamurai, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!

G

·

TR,
I've been disconnected from the board about 3 weeks so I must have missed the post on your racing project./wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif It's obvious you have an end game in mind, and you're now road mapping the route to it./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

I'm a bit surprised at your; "I wonder if that truck frame can be modified to work?". /wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif You know the answer is, of course it can be modified to work../wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

With your eyes on a warp speed blown motor, it doesn't sound like Jaffer and Brad will be looking for you in Spider Canyon.

Not to be too impertinent, BUT - What was Jay Anger's idea? And what are you going to do with it?
The J-4000 is a buy! /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

(I did learn I got out of sk00l a year before CJDave /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif and we played with the same engines. I wonder if he raced at airports, too?)

PEACE !! /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
w

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Jay's idea was to cut the frame to fit a CJ because it's so well built.
A rock frame is going to cost $1200 or more, and it's going to be a real PITA to build a frame, so the gears were grinding, and Jay pulled that one out of the hat...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts